270 wsm velocities

fllefty

Hi guys, I have a 270wsm rifle 24" barrel that I'm working up a load. Problem is that I'm having a problem matching book velocities (nosler manual). I have two different chronos and I'm getting pretty consistent velocities from both units. When I fire factory winchester 150gr CT silver tips I get the boxes printed vel. which is 3120fps. I'm using H4831sc and H1000 and 140 BT. With both loads I'm 1.5 to 2gr over max, the H4831sc comes in @3000fps the H1000 a little less. Anyone have any thoughts? Thx

as you must know every barrel is different. But my T3 SS shoot the 130 and the 150 at expected vel but not the 140.

Don't know why but might be your problem to. Try to reload the 130 and the 150 and you will seethe big picture.

I couldn't get velocity I wanted from H4381. Had better with Mag Pro and best with RL-17. It also had the best accuracy with 130 gr SST. Load .006" from lands and that lowly Savage(beech stock, Simmons package scope) shoots 1/2 moa all day.

I believe it. I seldom get book velocity out of my 270WSM's.

The Winchester ammo is probably loaded with Supreme 780 ball powder. You could try some of that to see if it will duplicate the factory load. Magpro or Magnum would also be contenders.

Some of the factory stuff shows more pressure than I like to hunt with so my loads are more conservative.

CogburnR is right on, I got the best vel and acc for the 130SST with W780, 150SST with H1000.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.