270 WSM velocity

Madpap

Good morning. I've been working on a hunting load for the last couple of weeks and I'm just not getting the velocity I thought I would. The load I've settled on is 66.5gr of H4831sc under a Berger 130gr Classic Hunter. Fed. 215M primer in Win. brass. It's an awesome load, SD 3 and ES 8. 5/8" five shot group. The average velocity is 3157. It just seems to me I should be getting close to 3300. Rifle is a Kimber. Any thoughts? Is that all I can expect? That's the most accurate powder in that gun. Magnetospeed chrono.

What is the length of your barrel? If it is 24 inches 3200 is a good number. however, you may in some cases be able to reach 3300 ft/sec.. The Hodgdon web site shows 67.0 grains of H4831 reaches just over 3200, but with your accuracy you may not want to try more powder.

I have shot and loaded 270 WSM's for a number of years and I have yet to find a good load that would give 3300 ft/sec.. The very hot factory Winchester 130 Silver BT's gave me around 3240 f/sec out of two different barrels. I am now using IMR-7977 with Berger 150 VLD's and getting over 3100 ft/sec but even the data given with this powder does not show getting over 3300 with a 130 grain bullet.

The Alliant web sit shows that you can get over 3300 with RL-26 out of a 24 inch barrel, but I have yet to try RL-26.

My barrel is 24". And you're right, I'm sticking with this load. I guess I read to much. I figured a little more speed. But all and all the load is excellent. Thanks for the reply.
I may later on try some R26. I've tried R19, R22, Magpro, and H1000. None giving very good accuracy. I know a lot of people don't like Kimbers but it's what I got for now. It's been a lot of work.

Guns are hard to figure out. I love the Winchester Model 70's. My 270 WSM is a Winchester 70 Featherweight. and with the factory barrel it would shoot 1/2 inch three shot groups at 100 yards and 1.5 inches at 300 yards. I burned the barrel out trying to get more velocity. I replaced the barrel with a Bartlein barrel thinking it would shoot so much better. Well, I have had to work hard to get if to shoot as good as the barrel that came on it.

A couple of months ago I found a like new Winchester 70 Featherweight in 308 Winchester. I have worked and worked to get this gun to shoot 3 shot groups less that 1.00 inches. This is what makes guns interesting.

I admit, I used to be a speed freak myself. But, that has all changed in the pursuit of accuracy. My standard .270 shoots 130 Noslers into tiny groups. How fast is it going? I have no idea. My 25.06 shoots 110 grain Accubonds into tiny groups also. Again, I have no idea how fast the bullet is going. By the way...I own a chronograph. Relax, get yourself a good drop chart and start knocking things down!! Good luck.

I'm trying to get out of the speed freak stage and work only on accuracy. It's s lot of work but I'm learning more and more and enjoying it. I've never been a long range shooter but after being on this forum awhile I've got the bug. I appreciate the replies and I'm sure there will be a lot more questions. I don't know how to do a drop chart but I'm going to learn.
Thanks

If you have not tried Magpro you should look into it. I have been loading 270wsm with magpro for several years and have been more than happy with the combo of speed and accuracy i get with it.

I did try Magpro. I couldn't get it under an inch. I didn't push it real hard though. It shot about 1.5 to 1.75. Kind of all over the place.

68.4grns of retumbo under a 160grn NP, lit with a 215 primer in recycled fed brass that is sized to hug my chamber is geting 3180 in my xbolt comp stalker and shoots .3 when im on my game. It also hucks a 110grn barnes ttx at 3470 into a .5 with same bras primers and a charge of 66.6grns.. Sizing the brass with an rcbs FL body die minus the expander, then neck sized via a forster n/s die.

I love my wsm

Retumbo seems to be a great powder... 4831 is a medium/slow powder more suitable for the .270 win.. H1000, retumbo, 7828... The slower powders for 140grn and heavier work better in the shortmags for velocity

Also,i was told retumbo and magpro shoot better near max... Which is true in my case, as my rifle shot the max charge of 68.5 but was hot.. Leaving ejector marks on the brass... Dropping it .1 seemed to minimize it with 3 or 4 reloads before loosing the primer pockets. Which seems to happen with the shortmags regardless. I also anneal the ne ks after every firing, helped immensly with ES. By hand over a candle flame

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.