270 WSM Popularity

Tbolt

I just bought one after shooting a friends. Very Accurate!. I was talking to my nephew in central Texas last week and he told me he had bought a new rifle.
I asked what caliber. His answere, 270 WSM. Another friend at work looked my Tikka T3 lite SS with Nikon Buckmaster scope over and promptly dicided he needed one and he hasn't even shot it. He liked the rifle and ballistics of the cartriage. That's 4 in my small circle of friends. Since it's introduction in 2001, the 270 wizzum seems to have a following. Just wondering how it's favored by the long range shooting community. Anyone made any exceptional shots with this cartriage?

I have a couple that I really like. Both are Tikka T3 lites. Last hunitng season, my niece killed a deer with one at 570 yards. It went 0 feet and died.

Paul

Just to intentionally hijack the thread.......

I here that there are people looking for 169.5 gr pills for the 270 Any Magnum.:)

Back on track though I do seem to notice a lot of 270 WSM appearing. It's really not to shabby of a cartridge. It may even put the 270 Win to sleep.......which would be sad.

I shoot a tikka T3 lite stainless w/ a Burris sig. select in 270wsm, great gun, loves 130gr accubonds and retumbo all 5 touching at 100. I personally believe that tikka's are an underestimated and un-popular weapon. They are made to sako specs, very affordable and shoot lights out w/ proper loading w/o any modifications. Very impressive little weapons!

I personally like the 7mm wsm a bit more b/c of all of the bullets offered in that cal. Also the 6.5mm/wsm wildcat is a great target round.

I am currently building a .243wSSm for a target rife, should shoot 105gr pills out around 3200 w/ a 26" tube! very good for only 43gr of powder pushing it. Hangs the the 6mm-284 and all the AI'd models too!

I shoot a 270 WSM out of a M70 Classic. Stiff load of Mag Pro 72.0grs pushes a 150 gr SBT 3,200 FPS and I think I've got room to push it faster. Plus under 1"MOA at 100yds. Now that's equal to a 7 Rem Mag but with a better bullet.

I have owned several 270 win and loved them for hunting out to 600 yrds.

But the problem "Was" bullet selection, now with the 130 accubond this has changed.

When the WSMs came out I went with the 7mm WSM because of the bullet choices,now
that is not such an issue.

The 7mm and 6.5 still have more bullet choices but you can't beat the 130 AB if your
rifle likes them.

For Elk the 150 bt or 160 partition would be hard to beat.

J E CUSTOM

I shoot a Remington model 700xcr in 270wsm. I have a Burris Euro-Diamond 2.5x10x44mm with the Ballistic Plex retical. Been shooting factory Winchester 150gr. Power Points out of mine. Chronographed them at 3200fps out of my gun. Been real happy with the 270wsm. Have killed 6 mule deer with it. Hits them hard and puts them down fast.:D

I have a browning Abolt that loves the 150 grain berger vlds. It also shoots under 1 moa at 100 yards with winchester xp3's. I have taken elk at 875, 825 yards and many deer at over 500 yards. I killed a coyote at somewhere around 950 yards but didnt have a range finder just knowlege of the area where the dog was. I think the caliber is under rated and has a bad rep because of the "bigger is better" theory. IMHO it works and works well in the west!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.