270 Allen Mag, Extreme Sporter Range test...

Mr. Allen, what kind of twist are you using in the 270 to spin those 169's? A very cool cartridge. I love my 7mm Ultra Mag, but this has spiked my curiosity.

Thanks for the updates on your tests! Looks like everything is going the right way! I can hardly wait for the new additions to the Allen Mag family to come out! Kirby I dont mean to drift off subject here but my email has been screwed for the past week and I just wanted to let you know I got my rifle back wednesday and LOVED your work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Thanks again and keep us posted on your tests and hunt!

3sixbits,

The neck dimensions are tight enough that if one wanted to youcould certainly take a light cut on the case necks to true them up for concentricity purposes and still have a plenty tight enough chamber neck for great accuracy and little case neck wear.

The dies from Redding are the standard Full Length sizing dies which for big game hunting I highly recommend with these rounds as they are VERY minimum in body taper. I recommend partial full length sizing by setting up the sizing die to size only the first 2/3 to 3/4 of the case neck which will just slightly compress the body diameter of the case allowing effortless chambering without changing the case shoulder to chamber relationship at all for great accuracy and consistancy.

If my customers want a bushing style neck sizer I build those off from Redding Comp dies using the same reamer as used for the rifle chamber for a perfect fit. For the 270 ALlen Mag I would get a 7mm STW die and ream it out to the 270 Allen chamber so that it would accept the virgin 7mm RUM brass for sizing down the neck.

For the 257 and 6.5mm I would get a 338 Win Mag die and rechamber to the 257 and 6.5 chamber. This would allow the 338 RUM cases to be stepped down by using different size bushings.

I do not like the S type neck bushing dies as run outs are higher then I like fron the non supported case body.

I have actually found the standard FL die will produce much more consistant neck run outs when properly set up then the S dies on average. The Comp die is by far the best for getting match grade ammo but I consistant get ammo with neck and bullet run outs of less then 0.002" with standard Full Length dies and a custom Redding Comp bullet seating die.

On the Rem brass issue, people make a bigger deal out of it then there really is. Sure it is not held to the spec that Norma or Lapua brass is but it is 1/3 the price as well. With just a bit of bench time you can produce ammo that will run with any european brass around. Just takes a little time in prepping and sorting.

The groups I shoot at 500 and that at 930 yards were with once fired Rem Brass that were not even sorted only trimmed to length and loaded with quality tools for good run outs. This is the key to accuracy at long range, far more so then what brand of brass you use in my personal opinion, at least for an extreme range big game rifle. Comp may be a different story but I am not a comp shooter.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

257speed,

THe barrel on this rifle is a 1-8" Pac Nor Super Match. IT is a good barrel but I much prefer Lilja barrels over the Pac Nors. Dan did not offer a 1-8 .277 barrel so I talked him into getting tooled up to build them for me and I also went with the 3 groove design for added barrel life with these hot rounds.

I also had him tool up for a 1-7 3 groove .257" and a 1-7 3 groove for the 7mm. He already offers a 1-8 3 groove for the 6.5mm so that works perfectly as is, which is good because these projects are getting spendy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

7RUMloader,

I am glad you are happy with your rifle. Let me know how she shoots for you with the new brake. Recoil will be a thing of distant memory now my friend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!

Thanks for the kind words as well.

For reasons concerning the outfitter, the sheep hunt as been canceled up in Canada. It appears we were just being run around by this guy and it was time to cut free of him. It is to bad though as Richard Graves was going to meet us for this hunt. I think I was looking forward to that as much as seeing how the Allen Mags performed on game.

To freely admit that the reason for the extreme performance of my rounds is about 50% because of Richard and his bullets and expertise in that area.

We are looking to set up a hunt as soon as possible with a place in Colorado so hopefully that will work out better. IT actually has a much larger variaty of game to hunt as well as larger game so we will see if we can get something lined up here soon.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for the reply Kirby. After spinning 300 new .300 RUMMY cases on the NECO I can say for sure they have a real problem. Just glad it's a friends brass. Yes I see your thinking regards the necks. I think .0035" is just about right for total clearance. That's a half more for added peace of mind. Now for the bad news! I heard on the news on the radio, the state of ALASKA is allowing Baiting of Griz in the TOK area. For all you animal rights folks, this is an effort to save the moose for human consumption and not to add to the piles of bear droppings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fiftydriver,
I am very interested in your new cartridges and rifles. Do you have a website or other material I could look at? Plus I'd like to find out the cost of either rebuilding one of my current rifles or having you build a new one. You can email me if you like instead of responding to this post. Thanks

Fifty Driver,

You have really tapped into my imagination and grasped my attention, after first looking at the 300rum, well before I bought mine I wished that someone would use that case to base a .277 bore on.
Based on a Rem 700 long action what would you be willing to say the cost of one of these 270 Allen Mags would run (if I sent you just the action, 270 win barrel shot out.)
**** good work and results.

Bryan

Kirby I have put 65 rounds through it since I got it back and to say the least have been very impressed with the brake! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif It now to me has the felt recoil of a .243! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif The bedding also made a substantial improvement in accuracy. I shot some of the 140 grainers I had loaded before I sent you the rifle and easily put 5 in .437 at 100 yards. The 160's I stepped up to were doing the same and the wildcats I got from Richard are proving very accurate! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif All in all I am very pleased and well satisfied with everything!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks once again for the wonderful work and I hope to soon Have my email fixed so I can quit hijacking your thread!

Awesome data. What do you estimate the cost of the 270 Allen Mag? Sounds like the perfect long range deer/antelope/yote gun I've been looking for.

B1g_b0re,

They do not cost any different them my other Extreme Sporters. Generally will range from $1850 to $2300 depending on option wanted. THis is for a complete rifle with me supplying a new, never fired Rem 700 receiver.

A simple rebarrel and accurizing job on a customers receiver would obviously be much less.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Lobo,

YOu really need to not use the "Mr." designation, no need for formalities, I think we are all friends here. Sometimes we have heated discussions but still friend!!

No I do not have a web site and the simple reason is because while I would like to have 2 years worth of work on back order, I much prefer to just stay busy and get my customers rifles out within 6 months of ordering.

One of the main reasons I got into this business was because I was sick of waiting 18 months for a rifle only to not have it ready. THis is the main reason I do not have a web site.

If you have any questions feel free to drop me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will give you any information you want.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts