.264 win mag

bnorton325

Hey guys. I am looking for some people that have practical field info on the .264 win mag. I just recently purchased one and I'm curious of the success (or failures) that others have had with it. And before everyone tells me I could do better with a 7mm win mag or a .270 wsm...I got both and have had good success with both...I just wanted to add the .264 to the collection. Thanks everyone!!

I've been shooting a 264 for around 9 years now and shot a number of deer and pronghorn. I started using 100 gr. ballistic tip's but quickly went to 120's... I was pushing them fast and obviously they weren't the best for close range shots. I switched to Barnes 120 XLC's and had very good results from close range to 535 yards. With a max charge of R-22 I got amazing velocities with the XLC. The triple shocks came out and I tried them as well. The accuracy was good but I could not get near the velocity as I was getting with the XLC's without too much pressure so I stuck with the "blue bullets".. though now I believe the 120's are not available.

I'm working on better long range bullets now and the 140 SST's are looking promising but for deer I am going to start loading AMax's. I tried Retumbo last fall but couldn't get over 3050 fps in a 28" barrel. I think I'll go back to R22.

That's my experience. If you search past posts you'll find quite a few threads on this great caliber.

help

I also have a question about this calliber. How is the kick, and would you consiter hunting elk with it.
My reason for asking this question is that i am trying to get a rifle together for a buddy of mine who is real new to the game. He wants something without a break that is very bearable to shoot a lot and that he can still use for elk. Having no expeirience whatsoever with this caliber I would like to know more about it.

i'm kinda in the same boat. i havent even shot mine yet. ballistically its alot like the .270 wsm. the .270 wsm beats it by a couple hundred FPS and FBE in some cases. i have seen what the wsm will do to whitetails at 300+, so i am excited to see what the .264 will do. from everyting ive read you could down an elk with it...though im not sure id go with it if that was the only application i was gonna use it for. even though i really didnt need the caliber...im using my upcoming move to OK as justification. cant really hunt the western plains without a westerns plains caliber...right?

Last edited:
I carried a Savage 110DL 264 win mag from 1965 to 1985 in PA. I killed mostly whitetails with it, some at longer ranges. All were one shot kills with lots of meat damage. I also reloaded for it for about 15 yrs. I guess I wore the barrel out I shot it so much in summer. The thing that killed the 264 was the 2 step bullet( yeah back then 264 bullets were dual diameter) and the intro of the 7 mm rem mag. It's still the original long range western big game rifle.

Good luck with yours.

im excited about it. it is a gorgeous rifle...a rem 700 CDL...with a fluted barrel. havent seen many like it and it looks great. it goes well with the .270 wsm that i have in a 700 lss. i might not can kill deer at 1000 yds...but you wouldnt know it by looking at these rifles!! id post pics if i was smart enough to do so

bn,

Welcome to the .264 shooters club! Most of us are, perhaps, getting a little long in the tooth, but new members are welcome!

Like you, I also recently acquired a new CDL .264, mine is the SF version. From what I've heard, there were only 75 of each made, the blued fluted and the stainless fluted. I haven't shot mine yet either, and I don't know when I'll get to it. It's not a pressing issue with me, I still shoot an old 700 Classic .264 from 1986, which is an extremely accurate rifle.

Also, like you, I shoot a 7mmRM, and in my case, a 7mmWSM. Both of which I like just fine, but that doesn't mean I can't shoot a .264WM as well! I don't think you will notice any difference in terminal performance among these cartridges, they are all in the same general category. The bullet used will determine terminal performance.

Like another poster said, the .264WM is the original long range western big game cartridge. As I type this, I am looking at an original print ad for the old pre-64 Model 70 Westerner. "It makes a helluva noise and packs a helluva wallop", the ad says. "It's most at home in one-shot-or-nothing country. You know the kind of terrain - it's out there where the plains seem endless and where the high sheep grazing seem to flow in and out the clouds. That's where your .264 earns its keep." Kinda romantic, don't you think! At any rate, the old .264WM is a genuine classic, at least among open country hunters. I will always have my .264's.

If you would be a .264WM shooter, then you should be a handloader as well. Factory loadings are limited, basically you have a choice between the Winchester or Remington 140gr. (Didn't I hear Nosler has a new .264 load?). The Winchester load is faster, the Remington load is extremely accurate in my .264WM Classic. Brass is generally available in a steady by jerks fashion. In other words, every so often Winchester puts out a batch, and when it is available, you should buy it, whether or not you think you need it at the time. 7mmRM brass works just as well, but since, like you, I also shoot the 7mmRM, I prefer brass with the correct head stamp.

A recent article on loading the for the .264WM, is John Barsness' "New Powders in the .264 Winchester Magnum", which appeared in the February 2005 issue of Handloader magazine. This article was written because .264 shooters could find very little information on loads using the newer slow powders in the reloading manuals, most of which just have loads for older powders, and haven't been updated in many years. You may still be able to get a back issue from Wolfe Publishing.

Good luck and happy hunting!

My Dad shoots a Sendero in .264 and loves it. With 140 grain Bergers and RL19, it is more than accurate enough (below MOA) out to 800 yards to take game. I'm sure the gun is capable past 800, that is just as far as we have shot. It's a great cartridge.

im getting more and more excited about it everyday. just as soon as i put glass on it i'll be ready to go. i already have everything i need to reload (im a beginner at that too) sitting on the bench. i cant wait to get to OK to stretch this thing out...not too many places around NC to do it...unless i take it out to one of the drop zones here on bragg!!

I shoot a 6.5 06 IA it is awsome. Dropped an Elk at 600yds plus many deer at over 500 yds. My goat took one step. 3185 ft 25" barrel. 500yds my group is 4.5

I would love to have a .264. That was the caliber my dad used most. Classics, both of them.
To me it is just such a magnumesque cartridge.
I inherited his reloading stuff after he passed and those .264 cartridges sure are cute. He did wear out his barrel though.

I've been shooting the 264 win for over 20 years. It is the only rifle I used for deer, I was forced to shoot a 270 one year and couldn't wait to get my mag back. Pound for pound I will put a 264 up against any deer rifle on the market. I hear people brag about their 7mags and 308's and I think... it's a deer not a cape buffalo, who cares. Point is you have a great weapon in the 264. It's not the flattest shooter by any stretch but once you learn your ballistics and drops, your a killer from 400+ yards. I have personally fliped whitetails at 250 yards and sliced a turkey's head smoothe off at 377 yards with this gun (luckiest shot I ever made). Get a Barnes reloading bible, it is a little pricey but it's well worth it. It has all the ballistics for their rounds and if I remember serveral competators rounds. I shoot a 150gr barnes triple shock 100% copper bullet, this after shooting the "stock" 140 gr remmingtons for years, don't even bother with the winchesters, they'll dissapoint you. Ballistics wise, I am comp. with my buddy's rem. 308 bull barrel, he's a touch faster and a little flatter but he paid a grand for that gun and in the end at 400yards I have more knock down. I wouldn't trade my 40 something year old win mag for any other caliber deer rifle on the market, period.gun)P.S. don't cut costs on the scope, pay now or double later. I shot once with a brand new bushnell and blew the recticles all over the place. Took it back and had a vari-IV 6.5/20/40 leupold monted on it and have been keeping everything with-in 1/2" @100yd (no bench rest)

I'm trying to decide between 264 Win Mag and 6.5-06. Can anyone describe the recoil of the 264 WM with some type of comparison, maybe 270 or whatever to give me an idea of what to expect?

I shot my first deer with a .264 magnum. It was running across a field at about 100 yds. I will never forget it as I took it at the top of one of its leaps and the bullet seemed to stop the forward movement and push the deer backwards. I was probably 15 yrs. old at the time. I am 64 now. This was my only rifle and I hunted groundhogs, deer and bear with it. It was a custom rifle on a Mauser action. Unfortunately I had problems with it splitting cases. Local gunsmiths could not solve the problem so I traded it for a 30-06. I used the Hornady 160 gr. roundnose. Most people back then used the roundnose bullets saying that they were brush bullets. For groundhogs I used 125 gr. custom bullets.

I have a 6.5 X .284 now and receintly shot an antelope with it at 345 yds. I keep thinking about that .264 and would have bought another if I could find one. My most receint purchase was a .257 Weatherby and it should be the same.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.