260rem action length for VLDs

out front

I'm looking at having a new long range song dog rifle built in 260 remington and was wondering if anyone had any issues seating 130-140gn VLDs to the magazine length of remmy short actions. Bottom metal would probably be Seekins (I'm happy with the magazine on my 338 and intend to have the same on this gun)

My initial response would be to use a long action, but I have a 223 in the gun safe I could use. I'm unfortunatly away and don't have the ability to make a dummy round to measure.

I'm sure someone else has been down this road and I'm curious to see what works

It's just a matter of how deep you want to seat the bullets. Trouble with seating them deep enough so that the cartridge will fit in a factory magazine is that you loose so much case capacity. You might be able to get the 130 grain bullets to fit in a factory magazine, but the 140s definitely will not fit if you seat them out far enough to get all the case capacity.

My 260 is a single feed...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

Thanks for the input. I am still in the brainstorming phase of what to run for my next long range rig and your info has helped greatly. I've heard about the Wyatts box mags and that will probably be the most realistic.

It is just a matter of getting the household 6 on board.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts