260 Rem Load Recipeies?

If your chamber is cut like my Savage LRP, OAL to the lands is 2.864" with 142SMK's and 2.911 with Berger 140VLD's. 2.888" for 140 V-Max. Shoots all into .5MOA or better. H4831sc. Twist is 1:8.

Guy I'm buying it from seems to have had some luck with it and I'm hoping to have some more tweaking and see if I can get it down to 1/4 MOA or better. He's got some things going with it that are at and below 1/2 MOA with AMAXs. He hasn't put Bergers through it yet. I'm hoping to get good results with the 140s.

fellas thanks for the info and this is all realy interesting reading. as for the 2.875 seating depth for the 260 i did that for only the first 20 break in rounds for my new krieger barrel. throat polishing was the only intended intent there and kept the load low and wasn't too worried about speed or accuracy, surprisingly i did get both though even with the seating depth. as you can see from the picks it did really well and i already have another batch of test loads. my buddy's 260 is one holing groups at 100 yds and he is shooting the same caliber. just need to polish up the load and get dialed in. i am starting off with the lapua 123s and then going to work with the 140 amax. i might trythe smk and berger just for kicks. thanks fellas for the info.

fellas thanks for the info and this is all realy interesting reading. as for the 2.875 seating depth for the 260 i did that for only the first 20 break in rounds for my new krieger barrel. throat polishing was the only intended intent there and kept the load low and wasn't too worried about speed or accuracy, surprisingly i did get both though even with the seating depth. as you can see from the picks it did really well and i already have another batch of test loads. my buddy's 260 is one holing groups at 100 yds and he is shooting the same caliber. just need to polish up the load and get dialed in. i am starting off with the lapua 123s and then going to work with the 140 amax. i might trythe smk and berger just for kicks. thanks fellas for the info.

2.875" is different than the originally stated 2.785". Maybe the first was a typo?

jtkratzer, sorry man i just had refractive eye surgery monday and it has been a little hard to see the computer screen :) 2.875 was a typo and i shot the first 20 rounds at 2.785 just to polish the throat. they were simply break in loads and krieger barrels come through with pretty tight tolerances so i figured backing the round out with a little jump would assist with not jamming the bullet. i have found that 2.795 is probably the optimal seating depth with just a smidge of jump because it is so tight. i loaded up another batch of test loads based on my previous data and i have not jumped those bullets yet but set them at an even 2.800 which is factory COL. I got some bergers as well and most guys know that those like to be slightly jammed so i am going to try that as well once they come in. thanks for the info. take care.

jtkratzer, sorry man i just had refractive eye surgery monday and it has been a little hard to see the computer screen :) 2.875 was a typo and i shot the first 20 rounds at 2.785 just to polish the throat. they were simply break in loads and krieger barrels come through with pretty tight tolerances so i figured backing the round out with a little jump would assist with not jamming the bullet. i have found that 2.795 is probably the optimal seating depth with just a smidge of jump because it is so tight. i loaded up another batch of test loads based on my previous data and i have not jumped those bullets yet but set them at an even 2.800 which is factory COL. I got some bergers as well and most guys know that those like to be slightly jammed so i am going to try that as well once they come in. thanks for the info. take care.

Lasik or PRK? I'm guessing Lasik if you're reading already. I had PRK done about 16 months ago and it was one of the best decisions of my life. I'm 20/15 in each eye and about 20/10 with both eyes.

Have you measured your chamber/throat with an OAL gauge? You may run into your magazine being too short to feed rounds loaded to touch the lands. I found a load that didn't mind the longer jump, but it's not ideal for Bergers, which I haven't tried in that rifle.

Hello everyone,
Hope you dont mind me throwing my question in here! New to all of this, site, LR shooting and reloading. Recently purchased my 260, the guy I bought from gave me a little load info. He said "its throated a little long" he was running 142SMKs at about 2.95" COAL using H4350. I was planning on starting with Varget, got the reloading data through Hodgdon and my manuals for starting load. Question is does that change when the COAL changes? Hope I'm not asking a Mr Obvious question but I figure when it comes to reloading the ole "only dumb question is one not asked" applies!
Thanks for any help
Scott

Hello everyone,
Hope you dont mind me throwing my question in here! New to all of this, site, LR shooting and reloading. Recently purchased my 260, the guy I bought from gave me a little load info. He said "its throated a little long" he was running 142SMKs at about 2.95" COAL using H4350. I was planning on starting with Varget, got the reloading data through Hodgdon and my manuals for starting load. Question is does that change when the COAL changes? Hope I'm not asking a Mr Obvious question but I figure when it comes to reloading the ole "only dumb question is one not asked" applies!
Thanks for any help
Scott

Are you using the same bullet he was for the load data? If so, first off - why change the load or was it not good enough? If you are using the same bullet, that length doesn't need to change unless you want to work on the seating depth for better accuracy?

If you have an OAL gauge and bullet comparator, you can measure the length from the base of the case to where the bullet ogive touches the lands.

If you haven't read The ABCs of Reloading, start there and read through your reloading manual. There are loads of people who can help you out here.

Thanks for the response.
The info he gave me was were he left off, not sure of exactly how it worked for him. Im sure with selling the gun the answer wasnt going to be "close enough". Yes, Im using same bullet. And I have spent time with my nose in the manuals and here. All the info I was finding showed shorter COAL around 2.725 - 2.765. Was just curious what the effects of the load would be with the COAL of 2.950. Started today with the 142 SMk's, 36 gr Varget in new Lapua brass and cut one who with 3 shots at 100. Could cover the hole with a dime but couldnt cover my smile with a $10!!
Really appreciate everyone here who puts in the time to help out a new guy, the info, advice and experience is priceless.
Thanks again
Scott

Is there a reason you don't want to try the H4350? I have had great results with the 140 A Max and 42.5 grns of H-4350. With the 142 SMK I have used H-4831sc 46.5 grns. However, these are my loads, so work up slow. Using fed 210 primers. I plan on testing H4350 with the 142 SMK's next. My COL is 2.915

Not at all that I do t want to try it. I had the Varget on the bench so thought I'd start there. Am definitely going to do some experimenting to see what the gun likes. Wrote down your two as well as a few others to try.

Here are some groups and the rifle that shot them.

Attachments

• photo[1]  260 9-12  a.jpg
    photo[1] 260 9-12 a.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 142
  • photo[1] 260-2.jpg
    photo[1] 260-2.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 137
  • E27D.jpg
    E27D.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 153
Sorry, those other photo's did not come out well. I hope these post better.

Attachments

• 260 9-12  b.jpg
    260 9-12 b.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 125
  • photo[1]  260 9-12  a.jpg
    photo[1] 260 9-12 a.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 108
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.