.260 Build Advice - Chambering

10generation

I've got a .260 that I'm planning to rebarrel. Planning to send to someone like Short Action Customs that is known for building tack drivers. Smith recommendations always welcome - R700 action.

Its currently got a #5 contour barrel and I'll keep same contour for fit. Twist will be 1:8 and I'm thinking of taking current length from 24" to 26" and adding an APA brake. I'm thinking Bartlein for the barrel - again, recommendations welcome.

Primary purpose is long range hunting and I'll be shooting either the 130 or 120 TSX. I live in CA, need copper and have had great performance with the 120 in another rifle.

At the same time, I'd like to be able to shoot the 142 sierra from time to time.

My question is around chambering the rifle - do any of you guys cut your chambers for a specific load (or have your smiths do it)? if so, should I give up on the 142's and focus on chambering for the 120 or 130?

Reason I ask is that I bought a .260 for my son that shoots the 120 TSX into very small groups and it will not chamber a 140grain round.

Lastly, any thoughts on the tradeoffs between the 120 and 130 TSX? Is one viewed as better than another in the .260 for long range?

Thanks

Smith wise, can't help you. I am very happy with a local guy.

• +1 on the contour
  • +1 on 26"
  • Re brake on a 260, I can't say not to. Let's you keep sight on target. I didn't but go for it.
  • IIWM: Chamber it for the TSX, TTSX or CEB 130s and take the compromise on jacketed.
  • My work with copper/mono-metal leads me to fewer lands and grooves and tighter twist. If I did it again 3 L&G and 7.5tw.
  • I've had better results with TTSX for longer ranges. I'm liking CEBs more and more but have not used or had any of my loads take game.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.