26 Nosler rebarrel which PRC?

Darryle

I have a 26 Nosler that once the barrel is toast I want to rebarrel to something besides a Nosler.

Was going to go 6.5 PRC, but thinking about the 7 PRC now, hoping someone besides Hornady produces brass. Can't find a case comparison

I have a Grendel, Creedmoor and 6.5-280 Ackley(in work) and the 6.5 PRC makes sense.

But I also have two 280 Ackley rifles and a couple of 7mm-08 rifles.

Any insight is appreciated!

With Lapua already making 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC brass I'd be very surprised if they didn't startaking 7 PRC once it's officially announced and available.

Sounds like you already have the 6.5 & 7 covered.
If you want another in those 2 calibers I'd just go
Big with the re-barrel.
The 2 PRC's offer little if you are a Reloader.
If you do a 6.5 PRC I'd recommend you get a modified reamer. & if you go 7 PRC, potentially that one as well. Also it'll take a while for the better brass to show up for the 7PRC.
Good Luck.

It looks like the 7 prc would be a closer match. Being a standard long action mag bolt face cartridge, albeit bigger projectiles than the 26 nosler. The whole concept of the 6.5 prc is something that tucks in a short action with long bullets. I.e. a 6.5 that dupes the 6.5x284 but one that can load 120+ grain pills in a real short action.

I had a 26 Nosler barrel. Cup-and-core bullets made a mess of anything I shot with them. Couldn't get bonded bullets to shoot well in that rifle. So I re-barreled with a 28 Nosler chamber. Pretty happy with that.

Also have a .264 Win Mag. Pretty happy with that one as well.

Although to honest, after shooting lathe-turned all-copper bullets for a while, I'm thinking of buying another 26 Nosler barrel with 6 1/2" twist.

I have a 26 Nosler that once the barrel is toast I want to rebarrel to something besides a Nosler.

Was going to go 6.5 PRC, but thinking about the 7 PRC now, hoping someone besides Hornady produces brass. Can't find a case comparison

I have a Grendel, Creedmoor and 6.5-280 Ackley(in work) and the 6.5 PRC makes sense.

Any insight is appreciated

Depends on what your using it for. The 6.5 is super easy to load for, super accurate and well supported. It is a known commodity. with a COAL of 2.950 mine shoots the 156 eol at 2835 with multiple 10-shot groups at or slightly under .50 and 3-shot .17 - .25. I would be my choice for fun shooting and long barrel life.

not sold on the new 7 PRC (though i want to be). Have a couple proof pre-fit 7 Rem and 2 Proof MTR 7 Rem. Shooting the 180 VLd, VLDH & Hybrids at 2,950 with .25 3-shot groups and 5-shot .54 (haven't tried 10-shot groups yet). Have run them up to 3,000 Using H1000. (could likely get little more with RL26/N565).
I am getting great accuracy out of the 7 Rem with the speeds of the 7 PRC, and there is far more components available for it.
So, if I had 3.550 or better magazine to load to the wanted a 7mm i would re barrel with a proof 24" 1:8 barrel.
if I couldn't decide, I would let mag length help me decide.

I do not own one but I personally believe the 7mm PRC is going to take off. It just makes good since if nothing else is because it is beltless from my understanding which makes reloads more attracted. It drops about two foot less at 1000 yrds over the 300 win PRC I think. It is a matter of time to tell. I have the 6.5 PRC and love it! 7 MM PRC will be next choice. But I will wait to see what happens but I think the 7mm PRC will be a keeper. 7mm preferred by a lot of hunters as well as LR shooting who is looking for an all around rifle. 7mm STW is a good example. Good luck.

Well, if you're sold on the approach of Hornady with PRC chambers and the little tweaks they have done to enhance potential accuracy, then add a 300 PRC to your line up. This gives you a modern version of the 300 Win Mag and a rifle you can shoot steel with at really crazy ranges and more horsepower than necessary on most common game animals. The one thing to verify is that you can extend your current magazine long enough to support the 300 PRC properly.

I sure like my 26. 3200 with a 156 berger. All my other rifles sit now. I wish the barrel in life was longer so I could plink with it.

I don't need a brake though.

Why ya not liking the 26?