26 Nosler load help please

land308

I have a 28" mcgowen barrel on a savage action. I have had no luck with us869. I shot multiple 3 shot groups with both the 140 Bergers and 142 LRAB. Accuracy was 1.4-2.0 moa with both at multiple powder charges/ seating depths. I am having chronograph issues but velocities seem to be in the 3350 range. I then switched to RL50. Groups shrank to .5-.7 moa with the max load listed ( 77grains) but it had substantially less recoil and after shooting it at 760 and 905 yards my drops worked out to 3000 fps. Thats alot of powder and expensive brass to be shooting 3000fps. I could go up a little on the rl50 but probable not enough to get above 3100. Any suggestion on where to go next. Im just hoping to get get 3200 fps or better with sub moa accuracy. Will a barrel that hates one ball powder work well with another? Any other powders I should try?

Seems pretty conservative.

Velocity seems good for the charge but the charge is so conservative.

Retumbo is a possibility.

What few loads I find are very conservative.

I have a 28" mcgowen barrel on a savage action. I have had no luck with us869. I shot multiple 3 shot groups with both the 140 Bergers and 142 LRAB. Accuracy was 1.4-2.0 moa with both at multiple powder charges/ seating depths. I am having chronograph issues but velocities seem to be in the 3350 range. I then switched to RL50. Groups shrank to .5-.7 moa with the max load listed ( 77grains) but it had substantially less recoil and after shooting it at 760 and 905 yards my drops worked out to 3000 fps. Thats alot of powder and expensive brass to be shooting 3000fps. I could go up a little on the rl50 but probable not enough to get above 3100. Any suggestion on where to go next. Im just hoping to get get 3200 fps or better with sub moa accuracy. Will a barrel that hates one ball powder work well with another? Any other powders I should try?
land308,
Please go to our website or read the article on this sights main forum page from Eric Stecker titled "VLDs, making them shoot" first. Then contact us at [email protected] for help with load data. We can save you some time and frustration.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.