26 nosler in a patriot rifle

SA1000

Has anyone had any problems with one of these?A friend of mine was one three different Shooters and two different scopes and best we could get is 12" or larger 3 shot groups with hand loads with 140gr berger hunting VLDs and us869 from 84 to 88gr.He sent it back to nosler and after a pretty good while they said it grouped there ammo in just a little over 3/4" soon as he gets it back he's going to try the reloads again.Thanks

If you and your friend are getting 12" groups with his reloads and they got 3/4" groups with their ammo, I'd try some of their ammo.
Not saying not to reload. Just as a starting point, see if you can duplicate their results with the same ammo. If not, there's something else going on. If yes, then you need a different load.

I'm still trying to figure out why that rifle cost so much. It doesn't look like any thing of greatness or something to that manner. I also don't see weatherby written on it either. Ha....

Well, the patriot has a match grade barrel and a heck of a trigger in it to start with. Also a very good stock. It is actually worth about what they are selling it for, IMO.
My brother "jokostel" has a patriot in 6.5x284 and one in 26 nos. (he also has a Browning in 26nos) I'd p.m. him on getting the 26 to work for you. Start with ditching the berger bullets... If they don't like that bore to that extent, no amount of work will get them to acceptable results.

BTW., both of his 26nos rifles were field ready in under 50 rounds shooting. He shot a mule deer buck at roughly 300 yards with his patriot 26nos with under 30 rounds down the pipe this fall. I believe he's using 130 nos ab pills and either rl33 or rl50 depending on the rifle, but get the info from the horse's mouth.

Soon as he gets it back we'll put they're ammo and several other loads through it.I'm with you wachsmann I don't like the rifle much myself but it's not mine.I tried to get him to start off with the matrix vld in it instead of the berger.I love the bergers but if he hits a whitetail a close range with one it would be a mess.

Whats your twist, needs to be 1-8 to stabilize. how far are you seated off the lands?Better double check powder measure for accuracy as well,in other words go back to basics,my 2 cents

Those 140 berger's are probably on the verge of turning to dust at the speed he is pushing them.

Whats your twist, needs to be 1-8 to stabilize. how far are you seated off the lands?Better double check powder measure for accuracy as well,in other words go back to basics,my 2 cents

+1

nothing with a match grade pipe should be tossing 1 foot at 100 yards groups unless something basic is very wrong...
Twist rate wrong, scope broke, etc...

Yep we agree.They list it as having a 1 in 8 twist.The scope was put on another rifle for hunting season and zeroed fine.His 26 should be on the way back and we'll see how it shoots now.They use Pac nor barrels on them.

I have 2 26 Noslers...
A Browning Western Hunter and an M48.
They BOTH eat this... and by eat I mean ragged hole on a good day, 1/2moa on bad.

130 Accubond, 81.5 RL33, 3.330
130 Accubond, 88 RL50, 3.330
BOTH are with WLRM ignition and NORMA cases.
RL33 does 3350
RL50 does 3450.

The 26 can push 140s and above but the neck is simply too **** small. It was DESIGNED to push 130s.
gun)... and I KNOW I'll get guff for this, but the ONLY ball powder I've seen work worth a crap is 760.

BTW, my 26 Noslers have incredibly short throats.
3.350 is JAM on that particular bullet.
Very short engagement for such a violent cartridge.:D

Don't necessarily need a Pedro... sans posterities sake for remembering exacts on a load...

You need
Bullet of choice
Cleaning rod that's able to have legible marks
A flat end on the rod that wont mar the bullet or throat
a permanent marker
A caliper.

Clear the remove the bolt
Drop the bullet into the bore, lightly tap the bullet into place
Drop the rod down the front of the weapon till it touches the bullet.
Make a mark on the rod, tap it out.
Clear the weapon, and insert the bolt.
Insert the rod till it touches the bolt.
Mark the rod.
THAT is JAM length. Go back at least 10-15 thou.... call it a day.
So many people say about going to jam... why? It promotes pressure spikes, and GOOD LUCK fitting that ammunition to another firearm safely.
Handloading is supposed to duplicate factory.... not be some super whizbang that nobody else can duplicate.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.