26 Nosler Build

Engineering101

I got ahold of a mint condition Sako Finnbear L61R in 7mm Rem Mag for a pretty good price. I've had a matching Sako 30-06 since 1968 and they are the smoothest factory actions I've ever come across so I've had a vintage Sako project in mind for a while. Since I already have a 7mm WSM which shoots the 180 Bergers in the 0.5MOA neighborhood, I thought it would be interesting to turn the Sako into a 26 Nosler.

24 hours later I am well down the path. I was surprised to find an off the shelf 26" SS Kreiger 264 cal Bull Sporter, 5R , barrel in a 1 in 8.5 twist. I normally go with varmit contours but I want this rifle under 12 pounds.

The reamer will be here from PT&G along with the go and no-go gages in 6 weeks. I have the brass and dies on backorder at Midway USA but they could ship by mid April so the reamer may be the tent pole.

Looking ahead a bit, I've got a bunch of bullets sitting here to choose from. They are the 140 Berger Hunting VLDs, 140 gr AMAX, 129 gr AB LR, 127 gr Barnes LRX, 120 gr Barnes TTSX and the 95 grain VMAX. I'll likely focus on the heavier pills but you never know. The 95 VMAX probably won't stay together out of the 1 in 8.5 twist. I'll post some pics and targets in a few months if nothing gets derailed.

The Berger may not hold together either, YMMV. The Barnes LRX is a neat little pill but just doesn't have the mass to be effective @ long range (wind is a bugger). With a cartridge so far into the overbore category like the 26, Go heavy & stay there. This will reduce your case capacity which will extend bore life, the heavies will also provide the best ballistic advantage at long range where this cartridge should shine.

I would recommend running the 160 Matrix VLD however, the 8.5" twist may not stabilize them.

t

Outlaw6.0

The 26 will push the 140 Bergers at 3,300 fps (based off the reloading data in the feature article in the April 2014 issue of Shooting Times) and assuming I can get just a bit more that they got with H1000 (3,281 fps) if I use RL-33. Have you seen Bergers come apart at velocities in that range?

There have been reports that SOME Bergers exhibit jacket separation in the 3200- 3300 area. I'm not saying they will, just saying they might. They Hybrids should handle it as I've heard no reports of jacket separation in the Hybrids.

You might try the Matrix with RL-33, you might be able to drive them fast enough to stabilize, it'll be close.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.