.257 wildcat build

Thanks Wildcater, I learned something new today. I didn't know case neck length made that much differents.

Trickymissfit, thanks, that thought crossed my mind. I did alittle search and found that the 25/284 is equal to the 25-06, only in a short action. That's something for me to dig a little deeper into.

I know barrel life will be short on what ever I desided to build. That's just part of the game. I might shoot a few barrels out before I get it out of my system. By then I will have gained more knowledge on what and why things need to be a certain way.

Thanks guys for all you time and info.

After reading for the past 4 hours, I have found 3- 25 wildcats that sparks my fire

25 / 300 wsm ( 25 pronghorn) I believe that's what they was calling it
25 / 300 saum
25 / 284

What to do? what to do?....The little guy on my right shoulder keeps whispering in my ear..." Do what any gun love man would do, build all 3."

What to do? what to do?...

Call Surgeon and order a 591 WSM action. Call Krieger and order a 4.5 contour 8.5" twist barrel. Call Wyatt and order an extended magazine box. Call Brownells and order a Dakota hinged floor plate. Call GAP and order some 6.5-4s brass. Call the Hornady custom shop and order some dies. Call JGS and order a reamer. Call McMillan and order your favorite style stock. By the time you get all those things done, you will have the rest figured out.

Call Surgeon and order a 591 WSM action. Call Krieger and order a 4.5 contour 8.5" twist barrel. Call Wyatt and order an extended magazine box. Call Brownells and order a Dakota hinged floor plate. Call GAP and order some 6.5-4s brass. Call the Hornady custom shop and order some dies. Call JGS and order a reamer. Call McMillan and order your favorite style stock. By the time you get all those things done, you will have the rest figured out.

Here's a heads up. I had two bad reamers from JGS. I never had a bad one from Dave Manson at Manson Precision Reamers.

How about PTG reamers? They have them for a good price.

I looked on Kriger website and didn't see a 8.5 twist barrel. Only 9 and 10 for a .257. I was leaning more to Broughton barrel.

After a little more reading, it's suggested to build any of the 3 on a long action, so the bullet can be setted longer and still fit in the mag.

How about PTG reamers? They have them for a good price.

I looked on Kriger website and didn't see a 8.5 twist barrel. Only 9 and 10 for a .257. I was leaning more to Broughton barrel.

After a little more reading, it's suggested to build any of the 3 on a long action, so the bullet can be setted longer and still fit in the mag.

If you are talking any of the SAUM builds, a Wyatt mag box is a necessity . If you are using the 284 case a long action is a better fit. An exception to this is if you use the Defiance XM action length. Problem solved.

Thanks Wildcater, I learned something new today. I didn't know case neck length made that much differents.

Trickymissfit, thanks, that thought crossed my mind. I did alittle search and found that the 25/284 is equal to the 25-06, only in a short action. That's something for me to dig a little deeper into.

I know barrel life will be short on what ever I desided to build. That's just part of the game. I might shoot a few barrels out before I get it out of my system. By then I will have gained more knowledge on what and why things need to be a certain way.

the guy used a Winchester Mod. 70 action if memory is right. That action is a little longer than the typical Remington action. (maybe .100"). A Savage short action will cycle the 57mm case easily as it's about 150" longer than the 700. I wanta say he was getting was getting close to 3100fps with a 117 grain Sierra bullet. (he said he was getting close to 3200fps, but the Ohler proved him wrong). Reason I remember this build so well was his frustration in finding brass (long before the 6.5 Norma). He got his load data right out of an older Hodgdon manual, and simply cut their load back three or four grains. Then worked his way up. Just to add to this, the reason he pushed the shoulder back was to increase the neck length. The throat seemed to last forever. By the way, pushing that steep shoulder back was a task and a half. I ended up making him a rough forming die ( and it was rough!), which was a learning experience.
gary

Thanks again guys, you all are so helpful and willing to share your experience.

I have decided to go with 2 of the 3. One will be a birthday gift for my son's 18th birthday in Sep.

I'm going to use the Defiance XM action. ( thanks Blacktail )
They sale the XM bottom metal to go with their action.

Wildcater, I'm going with the Manson Precision reamers.
2 questions: Do I need a rough out reamer and a finishing reamer?
Will I need to send them a print with the mesurments or
Will he have that there?

When I find the barrels I want to use, can I have them finish the barrel out ( threaded for the reciver and break, cut to length, etc) and I put it all together. OR. Would it be best to let a smith do the machining on the barrel and install it in my reciver. Because of head space, squaring with the bore, etc.

Thanks again guys. Sometimes I feel like that little yellow chick with the big glasses, that carries around a book....I'm just waiting for someone to say...." I say..I say...Go away boy, You brother me!"

Welderboy11972,

Wildcater, I'm going with the Manson Precision reamers.
2 questions: Do I need a rough out reamer and a finishing reamer?
Will I need to send them a print with the mesurments or
Will he have that there?

When I find the barrels I want to use, can I have them finish the barrel out ( threaded for the receiver and break, cut to length, etc) and I put it all together. OR. Would it be best to let a smith do the machining on the barrel and install it in my reciver. Because of head space, squaring with the bore, etc.

If it's a wildcat you need to send him a drawing. He will convert it to his drawing format and have you verify it. There is no need for a roughout reamer.

If you have the barrel maker make it like a Savage with a barrel nut, you might be able to get by. I wouldn't try it.

Built a couple of 25-7saum over the years they are a fun round,both were on short actions,this is my reamer Ptg has them on file.