257 Weatherby Mag Ammo Question

The 90gr GMX Hornady will do the number on any deer on earth with the 257 WBY
Should turn their feet up and field dress them before you get to them! :)

One bit of advice I can give about the .257 Wby and 115 Bergers (or any super fast cartridge with lighter weight bullets), is to place your shot exactly like if you were bow hunting...Right in the dimple behind the shoulder. I hunted with the .257 Wby from 2008 to 2014, and shot 110 Accubonds up till around 2012 when I swapped to Bergers. I immediately started shooting Bergers in all my other rifles as well, and haven't looked back.

Good luck on your hunt, and be sure to post up some pics of the kill.

Exactly, "hit'em in the slats" as a well known shooter once said. My last mule deer had mush where the heart once was. Good luck on your hunt.

Re: 257 Weatherby Mag Ammo Question - Success

First of all I'd like to say thanks to everyone for their patience. I've asked a ton of questions lately about ammo, scopes, etc. I've been out of the game too long focused on archery hunting.

I was successful on my hunt last week. Here is the deer I was blessed to harvest. He is my best buck yet... As you can imagine, I couldn't wipe the smile off my face!

The 257 WBY using HSM 115 grain Berger's did the trick. He made it 20 yards before expiring. Here's a picture.

Thanks again gentlemen.

IMG_2118.jpg

Last edited:

First of all I'd like to say thanks to everyone for their patience. I've asked a ton of questions lately about ammo, scopes, etc. I've been out of the game too long focused on archery hunting.

I was successful on my hunt last week. Here is the deer I was blessed to harvest.

The 257 WBY using HSM 115 grain Berger's did the trick. He made it 20 yards before expiring. Here's a picture.

Thanks again gentlemen.

View attachment 67945

****-nice buck! What did it score?

Also, that log in the pond looks like a huge carp jumping. :cool:

Yeah, beautiful buck. Would like to know range the .257 took it at.

Also, I couldn't figure out how a dolphin got to a pond in West Texaas.

I would agree, however, dolphins actually have a horizontal tail like a whale or a porpoise, not a vertical tail like sharks. :D

I would agree, however, dolphins actually have a horizontal tail like a whale or a porpoise, not a vertical tail like sharks. :D

It looks exactly like the dolphins that jump in Galveston bay behind my backyard. Except the tail goes the wrong direction. Missed that. Never seen sharks jumping like that, though.

It looks exactly like the dolphins that jump in Galveston bay behind my backyard. Except the tail goes the wrong direction. Missed that. Never seen sharks jumping like that, though.

Good ole' Galveston... Never been there, but I hear the fishing is good.

Yeah, beautiful buck. Would like to know range the .257 took it at.

Also, I couldn't figure out how a dolphin got to a pond in West Texaas.

It wasn't a long shot by any means... I didn't have the range finder but guessed him at 180-200 yards.

It wasn't a long shot by any means... I didn't have the range finder but guessed him at 180-200 yards.

Thanks.

I've always thought the 257 Weatherby makes more sense than most Weatherby cartridges since it is a super flat shooter while it's heavier loads have recoil like the lighter end of .270 loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.