250 gr. 50 cal. bullet drop

clark270

For those using Blackhorn 209 and shooting out to 250 yds. or 3oo how much bullet drop are you getting? Give your powder charge and what kind of 250 sabot and the drop at 150-200-250-300. Just trying to compare what others are getting. I use an older Encore 26" barrel. I now want to get away from shooting T/C shockwaves.

When I was shooting Encores and Pro Hunters, my only load was approximately 110grs BH209 (actually it was 75grs WEIGHT 107.1grs volume), with a Barnes 250gr TMZ bullet. I zeroed the rifle at 150yds. Have taken an awful lot of whitetail with that load combination.

This load put it just slightly over 2" high at 100yds. At 200yds it was 6.5" low and at 250yds, it dropped 16". However with your rifle, the only way to be certain is to shoot those ranges.

Seat the bullet consistently TIGHT on BH209. VERY TIGHT. I seated bullets with a very hard thump and also tested my seating forces with a Wagner force gage. I consistently seated bullets at 106# +/- 5#.

Shoot to know and create a range card to tape on the stock. Use a rangefinder.

Bought some TMZ's but I'll site in for 100 yds. I haven't shot anything much past that so far. I would like to use the scope reticle with those fancy yardage lines that don't mean squat until you shoot it at those distances. I was tried at 200 yds. this spring but my hinge pins were loose and shots were all over for that gun, bigger pins fixed that. Now I am not going to take the pins out every time I clean it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.