.25-06 loads using 100 gr SMK and RL 22

ddubas

anyone using 100 gr. SMK and RL 22? want to start using this for long range deer and yotes. have been shooting 75 gr. v-maxes on pd's and yotes but the winds blow them around alot and want to try a higher bc bullet. if anyone has a good pet load that they could share that would be great. thanks,

My rifle had issues with any Sierra bullet when I first tried them. I called the info line and they recommended me trying the following combo,

52grs of IMR-4350 and CCI BR Primers. I use winchester cases.

Well I figured that since I had everything but the primers it wasn't going to cost too much to give it a whirl. I seated them to 3.150 for my rifle and they shot unbelievable at 200 yds.

this is a near max if not max load. Please use caution and back down a couple of grs and work up to it. You rifle and mine are totally different.

Good Luck,

[ QUOTE ]
anyone using 100 gr. SMK and RL 22? want to start using this for long range deer and yotes. have been shooting 75 gr. v-maxes on pd's and yotes but the winds blow them around alot and want to try a higher bc bullet. if anyone has a good pet load that they could share that would be great. thanks,

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to shoot deer how about using a hunting bullet. Try the 100 grain Ballistic tip or the 110 gr Accubond. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i used this combination for 2 full seasons, which was about 40 deer for me at the time. worked great from roe deer up to 19stone red deer on chest and neck shots. i don't think you'll be dissappointed.

ddubas,
I too use 57.0gr of RL22, but with either the 100gr NBT or Barnes Triple Shock. I shoot a .25-06 Rem Sendero and this load is max in my rifle also. I get 1/4" groups with either bullet and just over 3300fps. A whitetail simply can't stand either load. Good luck. JohnnyK.

I'd like to ammend my sloppy reply, above. Fact is, my bullet of choice is also the 100 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip. A legitimate big game bullet that has crossover application on large predators. LB

[ QUOTE ]
ddubas,
I too use 57.0gr of RL22, but with either the 100gr NBT or Barnes Triple Shock. I shoot a .25-06 Rem Sendero and this load is max in my rifle also. I get 1/4" groups with either bullet and just over 3300fps. A whitetail simply can't stand either load. Good luck. JohnnyK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here...Love that load with RL 22

100smk are rocking here! h-4831 55.5,fed match primers are producing 6" 500yd groups. 110 accubonds would be worth a try.no deer lost due to smk's.

I am using AA 2700 53 gr and getting 3500 fps with the 100 gr BT, but I am afraid to use them on deer as they will blow up on contact inside say 200 yds. Using 54 gr aa2700 with the 85 gr BT, I am getting 3700 fps and laser flat trajectory. Both rounds shoot under 1/2" at 100 yds. I have never shot them at targets past 100 yds and seen my group. I shot them at a 500 m range, but when I fired the third shot, I got stung 4 times on my head by some wasps I had not seen over my head. I have no clue how good a group I shot, but I hit the steel ram 3 for 3.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.