25-06 best choice?

AR15RDY

Looking for some help on making the best decision on my next rifle. I understand the fit and feel I can only decide that but I've been looking at 25-06 by tikka t3 or the weatherby vanguard s2. I'm looking at weight since it will be mostly for deer and coyotes on occasion. I know I'll be carrying this rifle more often than I'll be shooting it in the field. Also both manufacturers offer accuracy guarantees, which people seem to backup. Any help would be greatly appreciated it.

I have been looking at the same caliber/ rifle combo. The local gunshop has a t3 hunter in 243 so i gave it a hold. The fit/ finish and overall ligthness made it very desireable. The bolt is very nice , smooth. Ordered one in stainless 25-06 for my son's surprise 10th birthday. After i surprise him we'll get back with a range report, although i'm sure it will shoot the guaranteed 1 moa or less. Paid $819 plus tax , mounting a vx2 scope . This should stay with him forever i hope and serve most purposes. My buddy took two hogs this weekend with a 257 roberts, that was also a consideration, but the availability of the ammo and extra oomph was the deciding factor for me. I have had some interest in the weatherby as well. Was going to get him a savage axis but i just cant get past their stock and safety controls, super no frills. But the price is right and they shoot well also. I decided you only live once get the better stuff. Good luck

AR15RDY, I would go with the Tikka. I have one in 7-08 and its a tack driver. A friend of mine just bought one in 300 wsm and at 650 yards he's shooting 1.5 inch groups. That's impressive for a factory rifle.

What about the 2" difference in barrel? The vanguard is a 24 and the Tikka is 22. I've read in need a minimum of 24 in order for this round to live up to its potential. I don't want to lose velocity and range when deer hunting. Any opinion on the x bolt also little more expensive but it has a reduced weight and a 24 barrel

I will throw a third choice in for you to consider, the Howa 1500. Howa makes the actions for the Weatherby Vanguard series. Same action, different barrel. I've had no accuracy issues with my handloads in the factory Howa barrel, Berger VLD's come to .5-.75 MOA groups @100yds if I do my part. Also cheaper base price than the Tikka or Wby.

Of the two choices you presented I would definitely go with the Tikka if you're concerned with weight. My 22" barrel Howa with wood stock, 4-12x44 scope, sling, and 6-9" bipod weighs in at 8.8 pounds. Personally I don't feel it's too heavy for a day in the field, but the Tikka is definitely lighter. Also remember that a lighter gun requires more precise control of recoil.

Unless you're planning this to be a dedicated 800+ yd rig, I wouldn't be concerned with the barrel length on the Tikka. Handloads will wake up the 25-06 cartridge enough to be potent on deer out to ranges most of us typically hunt. Even if you don't handload, you should be able to find a factory round that makes 1 MOA or less and still will carry enough punch out to 3-400 yds.

I will also add that as much as I love my Howa, my next rifle will be a Tikka. They are just such a sweet shooting platform!

What about the 2" difference in barrel? The vanguard is a 24 and the Tikka is 22. I've read in need a minimum of 24 in order for this round to live up to its potential. I don't want to lose velocity and range when deer hunting. Any opinion on the x bolt also little more expensive but it has a reduced weight and a 24 barrel

Went thru the same thing a while back and was simple put to me a deer or coyote will not know the difference in 100 FPS from a 22" vs 24" barrel when that 115 gr projectile hits them.

Buy which ever one feels best to you, either way you can not go wrong.

I wouldn't buy a 25-06 without a 24" barrel. If you want to reduce the velocity of this round, then why not buy a short action caliber? I have a 25-06 in a Rem 700 stainless. I've taken several deer and hogs with it. I've recently started handloading for it. It shoots 110 grain Accubounds into nearly the same hole at 100 yards. I haven't shot a deer with it, so I can't speak of its on game performance. Good luck with whichever one you decide on.

I have the very gun you want... Tikka T3 Lite 25-06. It is a sweet shooting gun. I burned up the barrel and it is now being rebarreled with another 25-06, slightly longer at 24" and tighter 1-9" instead of 1-10" twist. They are very smooth guns and make for excellent building actions if your barrel does go south.

Rifle is to be used in the Arizona desert and mountains. Mostly for yotes and mule deer. I do a lot of walking and glassing. After my pack,tripod w/binos and Viper 6-20x44 going to be mounted on this rifle is why weight is taken into consideration. Especially after you get a deer down. The 24 vs 22 concern is because distances is longest 500 yards but more realistic within 300 yard shots.

I would go with the Tikka, but with the option of only a 22 in barrel I would look into the 260. Better bullet selection, Little heavier bullet, little less powder, better barrel life. I think a 260 would be better choice for that set up.

If you do get 25-06 you still should be able to bet close to 3000 fps with a 115 gr bullet. I can get 3200 with a 24in barrel out of mine, but accuracy is best around 3000fps

the very first Howa I ever shot was a 25-06 Vanguard way back in the mid 1970's. It had the skinny barrel with a walnut stock. Had a Leupold 3.5x-10x scope. Was using reloads were not much better than factory fodder. After watching my brother shoot about a dozen rounds, he said here you try it. I picked up five rounds, and sat down at the bench. First round was dead center, and I rapidly shot the next four. Each hole cutting into the one beside it for a near perfect strait line. Roughly 5/8th's inch from one end to the other (outside to outside). The next day I ordered one on 30-06 with the same scope, rings, and bases. It shoots 3/4" groups with Remington Corelocks, and the groups are around an inch at 200 yards. I have shot one Tikka, and it was a 270 Winchester. Nice rifle for sure, but it also shot 3/4" groups with hand loads. I thought the rifle would shoot much better with a real stock instead the that junk piece of wood they put on it. It was OK at best in my book. Metal finish was substandard, and of course the stock was a poor design.

For comparison to the above:

* I used to have a Remington 700ADL in 270. Bought at Woolco (anybody remember that name <g?!) for about $225. The rifle was nothing special. Would shoot factory ammo a little under an inch (5 shoots), And slightly better than 3/4" with hand loads (not the best by the way). I've often regretted selling that rifle because it was probably the best out of the box Remington I've ever owned.
* I found a brand new Weatherby MK.V. in 30-06 in the back of my gun safe a few years back. It was a lightweight six lug action. Mounted a 3X-9X Leupold scope on it. Stock was not impressive, and still sucks (I'll fix it sooner or later). It shoots about the same as the above Remington. Yet I truly think it's a ligit .60" gun with some elbow grease applied.
* Years back, buddies told me about seeing the Marlin MR-7 at the Shot Show. They liked everything but the caliber selection. It only came in .280 and 30-06! I ordered one in 30-06. Seemed to take forever to get it. I mounted another 3x-9x Leupold scope on it. Rifle was very light for a 30 caliber, and a 180 grain got your attention. Three quarter inch groups right outta the box! The rifle is like somebody put a Remington bolt in a Winchester action. The magazine is almost a clone to the Browning DBM system. The safety is pure Winchester all the way. Have long felt this rifle in 25-06 or .257 Roberts would be about perfect. By the way the gun stock is near perfect for off hand shooting. The checkering is very coarse hand cut, and easy to hang onto.
* Brother inlaw is left handed, and was having a hard time finding a left handed rifle awhile back. He found a 116 Savage that came with the brake. With Federal Supremes it is a solid 3/4" gun out of the box. With hand loads it shoots about .550" groups with old style factory trigger. I didn't believe it could shoot that well, but I saw him do it several times.

There's not a single rifle up there I'd trade for a brand new Tikka, and believe I could have mentioned two or three others. Buy the Howa and never regret it!
gary

Rifle is to be used in the Arizona desert and mountains. Mostly for yotes and mule deer. The 24 vs 22 concern is because distances is longest 500 yards but more realistic within 300 yard shots.

Like I said, the deer will not know the difference in bullet velocity.
I have harvested many critters with 22" barrels in the distance you are talking about.
3000 fps out of a 22" tube is a smoker, dead is dead.

22" barrel 25-06 basically becomes a 257AI Roberts 24" barrel and that ain't nothing to sneeze at. I prefer a 26" barrel on my 25-06s and have had a couple 24" 25-06s and have shot a few hundred deer with the caliber and many different bullets from 100 to120 gr and there is not enough difference between any of them to tell. I have killed a few deer with a 250 Savage out to 300 yards with 100 gr Sierra bullets and the deer drop in their tracks just like from the 25-06. I did crop damage control on a big farm in east NC for 15 years were 100 deer a year needed to be taken and used about everything from a stick to a 45-70 to take them. I can tell you that most any rifle in a .257 cal. is a deer killer if you do your part.

I don't know if savage still makes the varmint contour or heavy barrel 2506, but it has a 26 inch barrel, and is easy to load for, I have one from about 1998 I got new , and have a half dozen loads from 3 powders and 6 bullet weights,all one hole groups at 100 yds, But I'm a savage man, put 100 dollar trigger in it or use the accu trigger and dont look back

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.