243AIor 257AI

Dirtrock

Here is the deal guy's, I have a Win70 in 300wsm, love it ,use it mostly as my Elk gun. Now here is my dilemma, I also have a 243 wssm that I use for deer. Love it taken it deer hunting 3 times, 3 shots, 3 dead Mule deer. I am giving that to my son who will b hunting with me in 2 years. I have a Ruger no1 in 243 that will b my deer/antelope gun, Been thinking about turning it into a 243AI or re-barreling it to 257AI. Any thoughts, comments, would be helpful. I have read a lot of past posts on here and I narrowed it down to those 2. Thanks, I live in Nevada so there will be long shots. Chris

Do yo want to keep it a short-action cartridge? With the #1 you can make it just about anything you want.

I'd look into the .257 Weatherby Mag, or a .280 AI. Both are excellent deer cartridges.

I have thought of the 280AI, also the .284. But I already have the 300wsm. So I was thinking more along the lines of the short actions. I also have thought hard on the 7mm-08. Thanks for the ideas

For me this would be a no brainer. 260 AI will shoot really high BC Bergers (140gr) @3000fps not much recoil, plenty of medicine for deer or even the occasional Elk.
Super pleasant to shoot.

Sticking to your question. I grew up shooting a 257 Roberts, so I'll go with the 257AI, I assume you talking the Roberts AI. It should be easy to shoot 115-120gr bullets at 3000fps with modern powders and +P pressure. (It's still much lower than a 25-06 or a 243).

I really don't think any deer will know the difference between your 2 choices. There is more bullet choices for the 6mm, but that quarter bore always interests me.

Know what you mean fish.....Something about a 115gr bullet pushing 4K that gets me going. That's why I love my .257 Wby Mag. It puts some serious whomp on deer & yotes, for a lightweight (comparative) bullet. It puts almost as hard a hit as my 7Mag pushing a 160 around 2800-3K.

I agree with the quarter bore. it to has intrigued me for awhile also. Nave a friend who I hunted with has a257 Rob, that thing was a deer slayer. that's why I have this conundrum,:rolleyes:

Gotta vote for the 243AI out of the two cartridges. Lapua brass, MUCH higher BC bullets (which also yield higher SD). Win-Win. The Roberts is an intriguing little cartridge but the 6mm walks it's dog in all aspects except barrel life.

@Terry Scott also made a fantastic (& better yet) suggestion in the 260AI.

t

I have built two 257RAI and two 243W rifles for myself.

I shot 4 mule deer with a 257 in 2012.
The 115 gr Nosler ballistic tip 257 bullet at 3050 fps muzzle [49 gr H4350 =~ 56kpsi] zero'd at 200 yards, scope 1.5" above bore:
At 500 yards this will have a 7 moa elevation correction, 3.6 moa windage correction for 10 mph cross wind, 2087 fps =1112 foot pounds

While I only shot the deer out to 400 yards last year, the cartridge has plenty of power at 500.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.