243 Win with Hybrid 100V

Stammster

I've used IMR-4350 in 243 Win with pretty good success. It seems to have been the go-to powder for 100gr bullets for many years.

I've recently worked up some decent mild loads for my kids 20" Mossberg 243 using 80-100 gr bullets and IMR-4064, albeit with 80-85% case fill.

I was playing around with QL, and realized that IMR-4350 does not completely burn before the bullet exits the barrel (95-96%). Not necessarily a big deal, but decided to seek an "ideal" powder in terms of fill and burn. Looks like the Hybrid 100V is exactly 100% case fill and 100% burn with 90gr NBTs - at great velocity just below SAAMI max pressure. Burn rate is in between 4350 and 4831.

In short, anyone have first hand knowledge of H100V in 243 Win? Seems like a decent powder - priced below others - due to its manufacturing process.

Last edited:
Iv'e used H100v in a 243 with 85gr Sierra BTHP's and it worked great. H100v is the one powder Iv'e always tried not to like but has proven to be solid in 243, 6.5cm and 7-08.
I tried the same combination and was not able to find a good load, but it could very well be because I didn't spend enough time with it. IMR4350 and H4895 are my two favorite .243 powders.

I was also a 4350 guy until I tried H100V when it first came out in my .243. I only shoot 85gn sierra's and 87gn vmax in that but I have no reason to go back. It worked so well that I started trying it in a bunch of my rifles. Long story short, it is definitely my go to powder for 243, 25-06, 7mag and probably a few more I can't think of at the moment. If I could only have one powder, this would be it!

I've used IMR-4350 in 243 Win with pretty good success. It seems to have been the go-to powder for 100gr bullets for many years.

I've recently worked up some decent mild loads for my kids 20" Mossberg 243 using 80-100 gr bullets and IMR-4064, albeit with 80-85% case fill.

I was playing around with QL, and realized that IMR-4350 does not completely burn before the bullet exits the barrel (95-96%). Not necessarily a big deal, but decided to seek an "ideal" powder in terms of fill and burn. Looks like the Hybrid 100V is exactly 100% case fill and 100% burn with 90gr NBTs - at great velocity just below SAAMI max pressure. Burn rate is in between 4350 and 4831.

In short, anyone have first hand knowledge of H100V in 243 Win? Seems like a decent powder - priced below others - due to its manufacturing process.
I've been using the V-100 for 2 years. My .243 has a 29" Krieger barrel pushing the 108 eldm at 3220 fps and will group ".03" at 100 yds. The 108 is a great bullet for whitetail out to 400 yds maybe more like 600 yds. I'll test it more on deer out to 600 yds in the upcoming season.

I was playing around with QL, and realized that IMR-4350 does not completely burn before the bullet exits the barrel (95-96%).

Perhaps a bit technical, but some things to consider.

QL is an estimation program, not a "here's how the world works" program. It appears, from actual pressure testing with a Pressure Trace II system calibrated with reference ammo. That hartmut gets(got?) anything he wanted from Groupe SNPE, whereas it appears that products coming from General Dynamics was mostly from limited bomb calorimeter testing and calculating.

Meaning that General Dynamics doesn't appear to share with him, and given Hodgdon's surplus blending practices; not sure your can say how constant things are.

Technically speaking, the "hybrid" process, is an additional step; comparing the original extrusion process to the original spherical process. But considering it's made here in the States, and doesn't have to cross borders helps the cost.

I haven't personally tested 100V in any cartridge, but I'm under the impression that's it's part of the newer generation of GD's powders (like Superformance). If that's the case, then it can(potentially) be extremely progressive in burning rate; depending upon application and operating pressure.

So what does that mean?
If you think of a "traditional" powder, they are generally fairly linear in burning rates in an application; until you get them outside their comfort zone. Generally speaking, think of an EKG spike, with the peak increasing as max pressure increases.
By contrast a "progressive" powder can REALLY change burning rates, depending upon operational pressures in a given application.
So think of a picture of a mesa, that becomes more "peaky" as you increase pressure.

So, look at the curve in various cartridges with it(in QL), and see what the curve looks like.
For a check and comparison, look at Superformance in the Creedmoor. If it only shows a standard peaky burning curve, it doesn't have the language to properly describe how the powder actually behaves.

Cheers

Count me as another guy that has had great success in the 243 Win using IMR 4350, always accurate and plenty good velocities in my hunting rifle. I have never tried the H100V
I haven't been shooting my 243 much lately but I have noticed some guys really praising VV N160 in their long-range loads in the 243 and similar sized cases. I used it a bunch with a 6mmAI that I had and it was extremely clean burning and accurate.
It's definitely worth a try if you can get it.
Gary

My youth 700 243 loves 45g of imr4350, in 80g projectiles. But recently have been trying to find a load for 90g elder with hybrid 100v or H4350. Will report back

My stock Tikka t3 lite LOVES 95gr berger classic and 100V. It was all about bullet selection for me. It didn't like the Berger 95gr vld at all. Maybe the barrel twist (1:10) is too slow? Hornady 75 vmax, Barnes 85 ttsx and Nosler 90 etip shot decent.

I had a 28" barrel 243, the Hybrid 100V gave me some over the top speed with some 90-100 grain bullets.

Well, 100v is in stock on Hodgdon's website too. I just might have to try it. They say it falls between H4350 and H4831. Sounds like a pretty good spot for a lot of cartridges. Seems like it could be a good choice in anything Creedmoor and WSM.

Have good luck with H100V and 88gr Hammer Hunters

243 Version: 5 shots
h110v 88.jpg

243 AI Version: 5 shots
thumbnail_image0.jpg