243 seating depth..... how much is not enough?

GetReel

So I am trying to develop a load for my 243, I bought some 75gr V-Max's to load for coyotes. I measured my max COAL and its 2.693" so when I back .020" off the lands I end up at 2.673".
When I have the 75gr VMax's sitting in the case, there is only .303+/- actually seated into the case neck.
Is that enough?
the blue mark on the one bullet is my attempt to show where the top of the neck sits on the bullet
30rtkd4.jpg

When working up a load, i try to start with the bullet shank at the neck shoulder junction.

th_243Bullets6mmA.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Attachments

• 20170122_090814.png
    20170122_090814.png
    235.8 KB · Views: 276
I agree with 243winxb. With the v-max style bullets, I've always had the best accuracy some where between saami coal and having the bullet shank right at the neck/shoulder junction.

Matt

OP's testing should show best. It could be anywhere.
For many years the mob implied VLDs needed to be ITL to shoot. This hurt those blindly believing it, as it was never true. Truly, it was anecdotal hogwash from folks who didn't do credible testing to begin.
We should learn form this and similar,, and evolve.

OP's testing should show best. It could be anywhere.
For many years the mob implied VLDs needed to be ITL to shoot. This hurt those blindly believing it, as it was never true. Truly, it was anecdotal hogwash from folks who didn't do credible testing to begin.
We should learn form this and similar,, and evolve.

I am sure you know much more.about bullets and reloading than Walt Berger and all those bench rest shooters that jam their bullets into the lands

Take a look at the loads reccomended in the link

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/6mmbr/

Rule of thumb but by no means cast in stone. At least One bullet diameter in the neck. Many have less.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.