243 ai - how fast is fast enough

rhouser

I have a newly installed (75 rounds) 26" Bartlein 5r 9.0 twist barrel chambered in .243 AI. I have been working up to now 45.0 gr. of WIN 760 and a fed 215 primer. Using a jump of .010 I am getting the following (same load for both bullets):
87gr VMAX - avg vel - 3430 fps
75gr VMAX - avg vel - 3574 fps
I still have room in the case to up the powder, I am getting no sticky bolt and the primers are not smeared. I am not sure I see any point in going any higher in the velocity with these bullets, but, feel I have not reached the top.
What are you veteran 243 AI shooters getting with the 75 and 87 gr VMAX's. What is a reasonable "shooting" velocity for these in an AI.

thanks in advance
rch

What is a reasonable "shooting" velocity for these in an AI.

"Reasonable" means different things to different shooters. Personally I would choose the most accurate load with the lowest ES and not be too concerned with velocity.

I am still on my way up LOOKING for my best accuracy. Going to 46 gr of 760 is going to put my vel for the 87 VMAX cleanly into the 3500+ range. The 87gr Vmax's are grouping well under minute of chuck but still not getting the teeny tiny groups that I keep hearing about.

I have the 75 gr vmax's ready to cross into the 3600 fps. I am getting some decent grouping at 3558 avg fps.

I guess I will continue the march to find the max since I can. I am now 130 rounds into this barrel with no settled load.

thanks rch

My best groups with the 87 gr V-max have come at just over 3400 fps with the .243 AI in a 26" barrel length. Both with a 1/10 and a 1/8 barrel, grouped well enough to hit P-dogs at 900+ yards. The 87 gr load at that speed is NOT fur friendly.

22 Mag

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.