.243 or 6 Creedmoor for my daughters first rifle

I think the 6mm is the perfect choice starting females out with first real centerfire rifles. Use to say the 243 until the creed came around.

Sean,

Nice loqd choice and I like its a middle node not trying go to the ragged edge. Good bullet with consistent accuracy and long case life.

Her hunting load is a 95g Berger Classic Hunter sitting on 35.2g of H4895 at .030 off the lands. Norma brass neck sized for 1 thousands tension and FGMM primers. This is giving a consistent @.45 group at 100m at 2730fps. When I do my part a little tighter. Pretty good for a Hunt load.

Target load is 70g SMK on 36g H4895, all else being the same. This is running 3060fps and consistent 1/4 moa at 100m

We run a Witt Machine brake so there is almost no kick for her.

Cool...

I never though of 4895 and might have thought the 10 twist might not stabilize a 95 gr. bullet but there it is!

A wildcat as a first rifle that for LR has basically one bullet offering by a relatively small new the company vs 2 super popular factory offering cartridges in 6 mm that has one of the largest selections of bullets for all types of shooting and ranges??? I understand having a darling caliber and being excited about new possibility but it does not make a logical choice here.

There are plenty of good. 257 bullets. The problem here is the 6mm barrel on the way and the short action on hand. Otherwise, I always push the 25-06 in this discussion. You can load it light with 100 gr Partions and make it recoil like a 243, or load it up into another class of performance. It's simply more versatile. The addition of 130 class Blackjack bullets just strengthens this argument. There are new cartridges to support this bullet in a short action around the corner. I know the will doubters, but after a conversation last week with Blackjack, I am confident this project of their's is going to take off. They're doing everything right. Just wait and see.

Cool...

I never though of 4895 and might have thought the 10 twist might not stabilize a 95 gr. bullet but there it is!

I like the H-4895 and started her with a reduce recoil load at 32g. Then as she grew, moved her up. This is still a mid weight charge node, but very effective! . 95g bullets is the max her Tikka will stabilize with that rate. I haven't been able to get good groups out of anything higher. It shoots the hell out of 70 to 95. Ive shot some pretty hot Varget loads out of it with good results but its got a good pop to it. Im trying to work her up slowly without making her recoil shy. She is now asking to shot my 6.5 every once in a while. Once she burns the barrel out, Ill re-chamber for 6.5 Creed

There are plenty of good. 257 bullets. The problem here is the 6mm barrel on the way and the short action on hand. Otherwise, I always push the 25-06 in this discussion. You can load it light with 100 gr Partions and make it recoil like a 243, or load it up into another class of performance. It's simply more versatile. The addition of 130 class Blackjack bullets just strengthens this argument. There are new cartridges to support this bullet in a short action around the corner. I know the will doubters, but after a conversation last week with Blackjack, I am confident this project of their's is going to take off. They're doing everything right. Just wait and see.
No question just when you look at everything as you stated moving to a dif caliber and cart does not make the most sense.. Look the 25 is half way between 6 and 6.5 and it will work as it should just as the 270 does between 6.5 and 7mm. Its physics but availablity breth of design is market and there is a large gap but only for that reason.

My 2 cents: normally I'd suggest .243Win, but I think the Creedmoor variants are here to stay, making it a very viable alternative. .243 probably still had the edge on ammo availability, but 6cm is coming along.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. I do like the case design of the Creedmoor better... Mainly the ability for the long bullets to not intrude into the powder column, and the COAL with long bullets. But let's face it: for the operational requirements of your daughter's rifle, either would do perfectly well.

I find these decisions the hardest: where there's no clearly superior choice. Good luck!

I think you need to prioritize some attributes for yourself but also to get the best feedback.

Are you looking for max velocity? Most widely available ammo? Most efficient cartridge?

Without knowing what you value most anyone can make an argument that one is better than the other based on a single factor that they care about- but that may not be what you care about.

If it were me and it was for someone who is old enough to keep the rifle themselves (ie not a kid) and someone who is not a hand loader, I would value factory ammo so they are never stuck without ammo. But that may not be what you value.

Either one will work for hunting, so prioritize a couple of things and run with it the one that fits those criteria. The deer will never know the difference.

I actually thought about that option. But, all of the barrels that they showed on their site were heavy contour. This rifle needs to be lighter weight. Maybe in the future I'll build one for myself.

We will be adding 25 barrel blanks to our X-Caliber order that fall in the Heavy Sporter type of barrel. Making the call to add them to the order. Most of the guys I run with never run anything lighter than Med Palma or Sendero but we have had a lot of email and phone requests to carry Heavy Sporter or Bull Sporter.

PBurton, Don't sweat the 243 Win vs 6 Creedmoor. Great brass for both. I'd just go with 6 Creedmoor due to the 30 degree shoulder vs the 20 degree in the 243 Win adding a little bit more efficiency to the powder you'll burn. Really no one's gonna be able to tell the difference between the two, especially coyotes, deer, or gongs!

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the responses. In the end I am going a different direction. I decided to buy a different barrel and go with a 6.5 Creedmoor. The reason for the change is that it will give her better bullet selection, a bit more versatile round, and I already have plenty of brass and bullets on hand. Pretty much the same set up though. Although I am having it threaded for a brake. This will make practice much more comfortable for her. I am sending the parts off to LRI tomorrow. Thanks again for all of the input.

Seems like a very reasonable choice. Glad you found a happy solution. Let us know how it turns out and how she likes it?

I am building a 6 creed myself. My son and daughter started with a 300 blackout and moved to a 7-08. Hard to beat a 7-08 for killing a wide array of game--we hunt with 140 grain bullets a lot...but I'm sure any 243 or 6mm creed with a 100 grain bullet will do.

I would've gone with 243 but you know what they say if it says 6.5 creedmoor it must be magical death Ray that'll kill every animal on the planet! :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.