243 fliers?

midwesthunter

Ok not sure whats going on but a rifle that I have and unknown round count is shooting inconsistent? If I shoot a very slow group not letting barrel heat up it holds tight groups, but if I shoot three fast shots group goes from 2.75" at 500 to 7" now when barrel is good and warm it will settle back to 2.75" group but different POI of cold bore shot, about 7-8" high and left. It will do this consistently. Its a Rem 700 SPS varmint 26" heavy barrel. Well end of stock has pressure tabs sitting against barrel, so I free floated barrel and no change? Could I need a rebarrel job? I have always shot pretty hot loads in this rifle, so didn't know if throat could be worn?

Shoot a group or two single feeding the rounds, don't feed from the internal magazine.
I have a Rem model seven in 243. I could not get any load I built to group, at all. Then someone on this forum told me to get some I4350 for my 100gr Partitions and start at 35gr. I immediately shot a dime sized group at 100yds. No need for me to look further.

Clean it good, bore scope it, and try again if the barrel/throat look good. If its repeatable try bedding the action. Is the group opening up in the direction of the warm poi? If so, sounds like the barrel is moving as it heats. If always consistent movement back and forth, you may require a replacement barrel. If you can shoot it as is, so be it.