240 Weatherby QuickLoad request, please.

MOJO67

Hi,

Would someone with QL be so kind as to run some numbers on a 240 Weatherby?

240 Weatherby
24 in barrel
RL-26
95 GR Nosler Ballistic Tip
F210M
3.17 COAL.

Thanks much!!!

Here ya go.

Be safe.

Attachments

• 240 Wby.pdf
    270.1 KB · Views: 222
Hi,

Would someone with QL be so kind as to run some numbers on a 240 Weatherby?

240 Weatherby
24 in barrel
RL-26
95 GR Nosler Ballistic Tip
F210M
3.17 COAL.

Thanks much!!!

On a similar topic does anyone have any data on the 90gr Accubonds in a 24" barrel, F210M, multiple powders?

Can you be more specific on powder and COAL?

Haven't done any load testing with the 90gr AB yet but it sets up with a COAL of 3.265" with the bullet being .030" from the lands and fits in the Vanguard magazine.

My powder inventory is pretty good right now as I have RL 17 & 19, H4831sc, Magpro, MRP, and IMR 4831 & 7828 available. They appear to be suitable for this bullet weight but I also have other powders in that range.

Thanks

More of y'all need to get QuickLoad. Even if you don't use it and have some burnt out nerd like me do the work for you. It is such a good tool that there are indications that bullet makers are using it to answer questions on loading "unusual" setups.

The attached file is in no way a suggestion or recommendation that you use any of loads. This is merely QL output based in the minimal information you have provided.

If you intend to use any of this data, I recommend that you cross check this with at least 2 loading manuals or references. One being Take Aim at Rifle Reloading Data | Hodgdon Reloading, the other being .240 Weatherby Magnum @ www.reloadersnest.com

I personally use these, 2 more pay for use sites and 5 reloading manuals to cross check before committing to a powder and charge.

Attachments

• 240 Wby 90AB 3-265OL.pdf
    76 KB · Views: 270
To get accurate data from Quickload you need the case capacity from a fired case from your chamber. Then you need a chronograph and adjust the burn rate in Quickload until it matches your chronograph velocity.

Without inputting the correct data "into" Quickload from your firearm, all you will get is computer generated guesstimates.

Example, Quickload defaults to the lowest case capacity of a given cartridge. On a .223/5.56 case this is 28.0 grains of H2O and a Lake City 5.56 case has 30.6 grains of H2O capacity. And in Quickload the chamber pressure difference between 28.0 and 30.6 is 6,000 psi chamber pressure with the same powder charge.

Bottom line, Quickload must be adjusted and tweaked for each firearm to get accurate data.

To get accurate data from Quickload you need the case capacity from a fired case from your chamber. Then you need a chronograph and adjust the burn rate in Quickload until it matches your chronograph velocity.

Without inputting the correct data "into" Quickload from your firearm, all you will get is computer generated guesstimates.

Example, Quickload defaults to the lowest case capacity of a given cartridge. On a .223/5.56 case this is 28.0 grains of H2O and a Lake City 5.56 case has 30.6 grains of H2O capacity. And in Quickload the chamber pressure difference between 28.0 and 30.6 is 6,000 psi chamber pressure with the same powder charge.

Bottom line, Quickload must be adjusted and tweaked for each firearm to get accurate data.

Good grief. @bigedp51. I have restrained myself but I'm loosing patience. You are obviously not a programmer, not very technical and you have already said you don't like QuickLoad.

Please go be negative about something else.

Good grief. @bigedp51. I have restrained myself but I'm loosing patience. You are obviously not a programmer, not very technical and you have already said you don't like QuickLoad.

W6o4Sqo.jpg

The only one sucking on lemons is you jfseaman, the OP didn't even give his case capacity from a case fired in his rifle. Meaning even the reply data "YOU" posted here is not correct.

Quickload defaults to the lowest case capacity and YOU didn't even ask for the correct case capacity. So this lets me know you are not very technical or fully understand Quickload.

So much for expert programmers and "technical" Quickload users.

Bottom line, what good did it do to post the incorrect data without the correct case capacity. The default setting for case capacity for the .223/5.56 is 28.0 grains of H2O and my Lake City cases hold 30.6 grains of H2O. And this difference make 6,000 psi difference in chamber pressure for the same powder charge.

So please tell us "WHY" did you reply to the OP and give out incorrect velocity and chamber pressure information and then have the audacity to say I'm not technically minded. :rolleyes:

I read this as sarcasm. Am I missing something?

More of y'all need to get QuickLoad. Even if you don't use it and have some burnt out nerd like me do the work for you. It is such a good tool that there are indications that bullet makers are using it to answer questions on loading "unusual" setups.

The attached file is in no way a suggestion or recommendation that you use any of loads. This is merely QL output based in the minimal information you have provided.

If you intend to use any of this data, I recommend that you cross check this with at least 2 loading manuals or references. One being Take Aim at Rifle Reloading Data | Hodgdon Reloading, the other being .240 Weatherby Magnum @ www.reloadersnest.com

I personally use these, 2 more pay for use sites and 5 reloading manuals to cross check before committing to a powder and charge.
Thanks Fred, I appreciate that. I realize this is just one of many data sources that needs to be reviewed before loading. Getting and working with QuickLoad is on my list of things to do to expand my knowledge but I've got a lot on my plate these days. Thanks again.

Thanks, that's good information to know. Based on what I see on google, you use a fired case (primer in) and weigh 3-5 cases empty and then filled to the top with water and get an average of the case capacity/weight in grains?
Obviously it appears you need to do this with each different manufacturer of the cases you're using as they seem to variy quite a bit in some cartridges.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.