22HH

pickens72

So over a year ago me and my buddy brian at hammer bullets come up with our own 22 cal hotrod. Me being a 22 cal nut all my life growing up on 22/250s, 220 swifts whitetail deer hunting! As you all know when hunting deer with a 22 cal the bullet construction is a big issue with varmint style bullets. After building my first 22/284 a few years back that pretty much ripped all jackets i said screw this theres got to be a better bullet out there, id had used sciroccos, barnes serval more hunting style bullets but never was pleased with the results! Long story short I found hammer and called steve up probably been 6 years ago he told me if his bullets didnt work hed give me money back! Well they worked lol thats all i shoot now and have made some good friends from it. So on to this new cartridge we based it off a wsm case with serval improvements to it. This is the latest one in the picture i just got barreled up! With the first one i tool serval whitetail from
500 to 596 yds! Running a 76gr AH at 4050 fps and the 72 hht prototype running 4100 fps which is now a 74gr! This new barrel is shooting 80 hht at 3950 groups staying from 2-2 3/4in at 500 yds! Just thought is share a little info on the 22 Hardaway Hammer on here. Iv had lots of folks asking about it.

Attachments

• IMG_4412.jpeg
    IMG_4412.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 79
So I've a mag bolt face short action sitting on a shelf, and have been heavily toying with the idea of a 220 redline (based off a saum).

I've no saum stuff and and multiple wsm rifles, so would have an easier time transitioning over to a wsm wildcat. Be interested to see the cartridge specs.

So I've a mag bolt face short action sitting on a shelf, and have been heavily toying with the idea of a 220 redline (based off a saum).

I've no saum stuff and and multiple wsm rifles, so would have an easier time transitioning over to a wsm wildcat. Be interested to see the cartridge specs.
I have a 22 saum also the HH runs bout 100 fps faster. We can chamber you one up!

Last edited:
Well give us some details.

Kirby played with one back in 05 but the powder and bullet situation was nothing like today.

The 22 saum/220 redline is bushing dies and 3 bushings away with minimal neck turning away from loadable.

You mention it's improved.... that sometimes means neck turning and fire forming. Curios as to your process.

I wanna make a light weight blaster for 75-100 grain pills. Torn between a 6mm but every time I run the numbers in the mag bolt face 22 cal rifles I get excited.

My donor ideas are a kimber montana in 325 re tubed, or a mack bros stuffed in a stockys carbon stock(I wanna just see how they are) with either a z3 or shv on top.

Well give us some details.

Kirby played with one back in 05 but the powder and bullet situation was nothing like today.

The 22 saum/220 redline is bushing dies and 3 bushings away with minimal neck turning away from loadable.

You mention it's improved.... that sometimes means neck turning and fire forming. Curios as to your process.

I wanna make a light weight blaster for 75-100 grain pills. Torn between a 6mm but every time I run the numbers in the mag bolt face 22 cal rifles I get excited.

My donor ideas are a kimber montana in 325 re tubed, or a mack bros stuffed in a stockys carbon stock(I wanna just see how they are) with either a z3 or shv on top.
Its 40 degrees improved with a shorter neck no neck turning, i was fire forming with a shotgun plug and cornmeal, but had a hydro forming die made that im using now! Hornady makes our dies for it.

I made a .22 wildcat based on the .264 Win Mag case. It had the same case capacity as a .30-06. I called it .224 MBOC. The neck was 7/16" long to hold a Hornady 75 grain A-Max with the bottom of the boat tail even with the bottom of the neck. Alas it never shot them accurately.

The problem with building a rifle around a particular bullet can be expensive.

I made a .22 wildcat based on the .264 Win Mag case. It had the same case capacity as a .30-06. I called it .224 MBOC. The neck was 7/16" long to hold a Hornady 75 grain A-Max with the bottom of the boat tail even with the bottom of the neck. Alas it never shot them accurately.

Yep thats the glory of running a hammer they will handle the rpm where jackets wont! Iv run the 75 amax at 3600 im 8 twist guns but anything faster it starts ripping jackets, i blow up the 77 tmk in a 8 twist soon as i hit 3700 they started coming apart! But i do have a 9 twist 22/284 that runs them 3750 with no problems killee deer at 760 yds with it. But iv converted it to a 68 HHT now at 4000 fps!

The old ones I had didn't like much over 3400 with even minimal barrel wear. Ill be honest I heard guys run them higher but never could myself. Found that out with 22-284 and 223 wssms respectively. We've got a lot more options as well as the mono metals now. Last 20 years has given us much more to play with.

You mentioned also having a 22 saum reamer. Is it a straight saum or is it short neck steep shoulder as well?

The old ones I had didn't like much over 3400 with even minimal barrel wear. Ill be honest I heard guys run them higher but never could myself. Found that out with 22-284 and 223 wssms respectively. We've got a lot more options as well as the mono metals now. Last 20 years has given us much more to play with.

You mentioned also having a 22 saum reamer. Is it a straight saum or is it short neck steep shoulder as well?
Its a 6.5 saum just stepped down but i do half to turn the necks on it!

What velocity did u get? I thought bout that case to. Lol