22BR that dosent extract Lapua brass?

7stw

Guys, I recently built a 22br, savage action, Shilen profit, 12 twist. Used Lapua 6mm br brass, resized, turned and trimmed. All of which was a process, but I figured it out. I set headspace using a Go gauge, and on piece of tape. Anywho, the Lapua brass, chambers, and fires ok, but upon extraction, I have to rap the bolt to the rear with my palm.
So, I also have some Norma brass, put through the same process. It chambers, fires, and extracts with no issues. I also have some Peterson brass, that performs well also. Now, you may be asking, why bother, but I'd prefer the Lapua brass. This was virgin brass, that chambers, and fires in my 6BR, no problems.
All measurements seem to be inline, or comparable to what I have, that DOES work.
Any help from some of our wizards would be appreciated. I'm using Redding S dies, FL.

Take it this is a barrel nut build since you set headspace. What action?

Please post reamer specs. I have a few 22br barrels, run lapua no turn like a champ. Could be a dimensional thing, or not. Peterson/Norma is softer brass.

You had to neck everything down initial, what process did you use, neck sizing die or a bushing die? Did you possibly bump the shoulders back a ways trying to get all the neck sized with the bushing? What's headspace between you unfired necked down, un-necked down lapua 6br, and your fired lapua 22br brass? What's your loaded neck diameter? Have you tried firing the new formed lapua a 2nd time? After sizing of course.

Just trting to get some data.

Action is a savage model 10. I used go-no go gages. I put one piece of tape on the go gage, screwed in the barrel, and tightened. I confess, that I may be a little tight on headspace. My case forming process, is while it is still 6mm, I trimmed it back to 1.520. Lubed and ran it through the FL, S die, with expander in place, just to iron out the inner neck. Then, I final trimmed it to 1.510.
Now, I have to turn the necks, .001.
My chamber neck dimension is .250.
After turning necks, my outside dimension, loaded, is .248-2485. I use the same process on the Norma, and Peterson brass also.
If I had it to do again, I'd go with a
.252-.254 neck. It's amazing how much out of round the brass is, even virgin. Peterson seems to very concentric.
I'd like to shoot the Lapua , but the gun shoots nearly one hole groups with either of the two. I've measure the brass, seven ways from Sunday, and I can't find any dimensional differences.
This brass, fits in my 6br, shoots and extracts perfectly. Similar rifle, Shilen pre fit, m12 action. A friend recommended trying a few, from a different lot#. When I turn the necks, I set the stop, right at the juncture. Neck wall thickness is .0125. Befuddled!
Oh, I forgot to mention, that after turning, I ran it back through the FL bushing die, without the expander, loaded and seated.