.224 Allen Mag is almost here!!!!

Baring surface for the 107 gr .224" ULD RBBT Wildcat bullet is roughly 0.675". I do not know what the baring surface for the 80 gr Sierra MK is but I would think the Wildcat Bullet is much longer, only stands to reason I guess.

In a 22-6mm AI, a 1-9 twist barrel will, in most cases stabilize an 80 gr Sierra MK. I am using a 1-7 twist barrel with much ligher velocity potential in the 224 Allen Mag.

Twist rate prediction is 1-7 from the computer models but we will see what happens when the bullets fly.

Not sure what your comment concerning twist rate and baring surface have to do with each other. OAL bullet length is really the main determination as to what twist rate will be needed to stablize a certain bullet.

Baring surface has more to do with bore heat and fouling potential.

Kirby Allen(50)

B1g_b0re,

As of right now I am not planning on putting a brake on this rifle. A 100-107 gr pill at 3400-3500 fps should be very comfortable to shoot in the 8.5 lb rifle.

Maybe when I get the 338 AM and 510 AM up and running along with the 224, 257, 6.5, 270, 277 and 7mm Allen Magnums as well as the AX rounds I may do something such as you are asking about. WOuld need to be worth the trip for my customers.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
As of right now I am not planning on putting a brake on this rifle. A 100-107 gr pill at 3400-3500 fps should be very comfortable to shoot in the 8.5 lb rifle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that thinking. A 90gr out of my 270 # 3400 fps allowed me to spot pretty much all of my shots from about any shooting position. Problem was that the "drag chut" opened at about 400 yds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Kirby Mag Face I could get really nice groups all day with my little a-bolt 270 WSM - <font color="red"> UNTIL I STARTED SHOOTING KIRBY GUNS </font> My 300 &amp; 338 &amp; 375 Kirby/Lilja/RUMs with QD brakes and trigger jobs ruined me. Check out my face from shooting the little 270 WSM after shooting my 338 &amp; 375 Kirby/Lilja RUMS. I had to send the 270 WSM to Kirby for a trigger job and Holland QD as I can't hit squat with it now.

One reason why I may brake the rifle in the future is for yote hunting if the rifle works as expected.

The reason is clear if you have ever been down range from a rifle as it is fired. A clean muzzle will have a very distinct, sharp crack to it and it is very easy to pinpoint the direction in which the blast came from.

With a brake what you would hear down range is simply a muffled boom. This is because the vast majority of the muzzle blast is redirected to the sides instead of down range. As such it is very difficult to get a pinpoint location of where the shot came from.

In fact, with most of my long range shots a yotes with rifles that had no brake, if I missed the yotes would know exactly where the shot came from and get out of Dodge.

All I have missed using a braked rifle seemed confused and often more spooked by the bullets impact and generally would run back directly toward me.

I have even witnessed this at ranges under 300 yards. Instead of pinpointing your location the yotes often seem confused and at times will come even closer to your position, espeically if you are well concealed.(yes I have missed a few times under 300 yards I hate to admit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!)

Another advantage is that if you take a shot at a yote in one area, you can still generally hunt in surrounding areas where as often with a non braked rifle, especially in areas that are hunted heavily, one shot will at times spoil an entire are for hunting.

Now some would say why not use a suppressor instead of a brake then, well, I have always found a suppressor, to some degree reduces consistancy of a rifle as far as accuracy is concerned, I have never found this to be the case with a rifle fitted with a muzzle brake.

So this is the only reason why I would consider fitting a brake to the rifle and if the rifle proves to perform up to my expectations, it may well have a brake fitted to it for this specific reason.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,

Good tho't, makes sense. Have seen when the bullet stike is more pronounced than the rifle crack the flying dust herds them like a border collie.

Kirby:

I've noticed this many times before also, and in fact, I noticed the brake effect on sound again this year when I shot my elk. At the shot the bull dropped but the cows in the herd milled around and didn't know what happened or really where the sound came from. They actually came towards me about 100 yards before they turned down canyon.

Later in the morning I talked to a couple of hunters that had been in the head of the canyon I shot across and they said the shot sounded like it came from a really long ways away instead of just down canyon from them. They could just barely hear it and had no idea I'd shot an elk just below them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Roy:

The best combination is to use a braked gun and hide the bullet strike inside an animal. This really confuses the rest of them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You mean kinda like this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Internal Strikes

Sorry about the link. Can never remember the little trick to get the pic to post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Probably why I can't shoot well either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Roy:

I said bullet "strike" not "strikes", like in singular. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What did you shoot that poor guy with and how many people were shooting? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Roy:

I said bullet "strike" not "strikes", like in singular. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What did you shoot that poor guy with and how many people were shooting? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

kyped the Pic from here: read the whole thing. Will put the ol' phazazz back in your hunting.
whatcha call a real cannon.

[ QUOTE ]
Can never remember the little trick to get the pic to post

[/ QUOTE ]
Instead of using the "URL" option use the "Image" option. The rest is the same.

[image]http://www.huntingpictures.net/photo/003703[/image]

But for some reason it isn't working. Normally I can copy the web address from the properties of the image you linked to and put it up here for you but it didn't work. Anyway you can see how it should look in your post draft.

[ QUOTE ]

But for some reason it isn't working. Normally I can copy the web address from the properties of the image you linked to and put it up here for you but it didn't work. Anyway you can see how it should look in your post draft.

[/ QUOTE ]

4kd,
Thanks

I did that first then resorted to the url to get a measure of success.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.