.224 55gr VMax ideal spin rate?

G

Could anyone advise the ideal rpm range for the Hornady .224 VMax in 55gr?
I am about to rebarrel a .222AI and use this pill exclusively. Currently using a 1/14 at 3450fps and thinking of changing to 1/12. The 1/14 equals 177K rpm and the 1/12 would give me 207K rpm at the same velocity.
I seem to recall reading that the ideal rpm is around 200K rpm???

A.P.B.
Have heard lots of stories about 55 V Max and Nosler BT not being properly stabilised in a 1 in 14 twist . 1 in 12 worked fine with bullet weights of 50 - 60 gns (including 55 V Max) in my .220 Swift so can't see it being a problem at the velocities you are talking about . Better too fast than too slow .

Thanks Aussie
I am of the same opinion that it is better to have a little excess spin rather than not enough.
The only problem with that theory is when the velocities are way up there for the jacket integrity and dusting occurs.
At my velocities there won't be that problem.
Cheers

[ 10-17-2004: Message edited by: aussie powder burner ]

Aussie Powder Burner,

I would say that the 1-12 is just about perfect for the 223 class rounds using the 50 and 55 gr tipped bullets out of a rifle.

Your 222 AI is certainly in the same class as the 223 so this twist is what I would use.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks Kirby
I have just ordered a Lilja 1/12 #4 contour 3 groove to finish at 26" in my little L46 Sako.
it is a great walking around rifle and i have stretched it out to 400yds.
As usual the wind plays havoc at anything past about 280yds for this light 224.
This will be my first experience with Lilja barrels and 3 groove.
APB

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.