.223 Wylde reloading questions

bdspen

Hi, new here and new to reloading. I'm about to get a bolt action rifle with a barrel made by bison gun works chambered in .223 wylde 1-7. I'm wondering if there is any .223 wylde specific gear I will need to reload properly, or if there are any differences with reloading it vs 223.

Is .223 brass or 5.56 nato brass better to use? Since I haven't purchased anything yet, any recommendations on certain pieces of gear for .223 wylde or 223 in general? I'm thinking I will get a turret press or maybe a single stage. Also bonus if anyone has any reloading gear for sale for this setup. My goals are loading accurate ammo for long range.

Tagging in. I have a Wylde chamber in my AR15 by Odinworks. I can shoot factory 556 but with my reloads (using RCBS .223/5.56 SB T/C dies), I have to spin an extra 1/4 when setting up my sizing due to bump the shoulder (to avoid jamming into my chamber).
I'm curious to know how the pros do it.
756EE798-B693-4A88-8216-F90E868B982A.jpeg
6BC8211F-68F7-4A79-9989-6C0CF45DA5C1.jpeg
74587CDB-8EE1-4FED-AFC0-84340ACBCAC3.jpeg

The Wylde is simply a modification to the chamber that allows the use of both the 223 rem and the 5.56 ammo without fear of over pressure. So you can shoot ether one in your rifle without any issues.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
As far as cases go there is not much difference between 223 and 5.56 cases. You will find that some 223 cases have less capacity than 5.56. I have found that Starline 223 cases have less capacity than most any of the other makes including Lake City. So I suggest that you choose the cases you want to use and stick with that brand and lot number if you can and work up a load. With a bolt action you can get by with neck sizing and bumping the shoulder slightly but in my experience with ARs you pretty much have to full length size to insure proper function. By the way the Wylde chamber is in layman's terms just a throat length that is a little longer than 223 but not as long as 5.56 Nato but allows you to shoot both rounds safely.

Country Bumpkin: I just put together an AR with the same Oden 18" barrel as yours. I have not had time to do more than just fire for function yet because of winter setting in but am looking forward to spring and getting out to the range.
The load that I fired was the old #5 Sierra Manual suggested accuracy load. I used LC cases, 25.3 grs Varget, CCI-BR2, 69 Sierra MK, COAL 2.260. Rifle shot 5 shots sub MOA with shots 6 through 10 out of the rifle. This load usually shoots pretty good in most any AR. I am going to be working up loads for it to varmint hunt coyotes down to ground hogs so hoping to get some 55 to 65 or so gr varmint bullets to shoot well. I have shot some critters with the 69 Sierra GK and it does pretty well in the kill them dead category.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.