.223 Remington semiauto rifles that don't look like ARs

Browning Shortrac, Winchester SXAR, at one time the FN FNAR and finally the Fightlight SCR. The Fightlight uses traditional AR uppers but the lower looks like a traditional rifle action.

Fightlight SCR

684F8DE6-9A98-4A56-A0F3-A0055A9E8C73.png

I'd love to see a slick repeater like a mini bar, or 742. Have freedom guns but would like a slick clean svelte autoloader for hunting. Had a mini years ago that just didn't cut it, the vq evolution was super heavy. Would be nice to have a modern sleek sporter, even for those of us who are free.

They had one with a pistol grip that I actually saw in person at a show 10+ years ago for a price that would be high even today. They had pictures of a sporter r1 223 with a standard stock, looked for a few years and never found one.

Actually check out the Browning catalog. Maybe at one time had military origins but seems to have moved on.
The original BAR , browning automatic rifle, was a full auto capable 30-06 used in at least one World War . 18lbs of hand held fury . Guy I worked with in the sporting goods industry had one.
The modern BAR isn't anything similar to the original ,except by name. Browning wisely just borrowed a name with recognition to help sell their comp for the Remington 742.

Recent Posts