.223 Remington semiauto rifles that don't look like ARs

Ruger Ranch Rifle. Mine is in a 7.62 by 39 but they make it in a 223

Attachments

• Ruger Ranch 7.62x39.JPG
    Ruger Ranch 7.62x39.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 467
Nice! Can the .223 version be had in a 10 round clip? Website says 5 rounds and some versions 20. 10 round max in California where we live.
No, they don't offer them with a "clip". However, they do make "magazines" for them with as low as 5 round capacity.

Last edited:
Not sure the Ruger ranch rifle is "legal" in California right now or not--- it has gone on/off the "assault rifle list" several times over the years.
Last I knew, ruger did offer a "ca compliant" - featureless "ranch" rifle --- but calis rules change quickly.
You should read up on cali laws and do some research before choosing. Ruger does make 10 round mags for it but no "clips"

Me and a friend want to buy .223 Remington semiauto rifles that don't look like ARs or military guns. Anyone know of one? I know the bolt rifle I would get as an alternative but we want semiautos.
In the late 1960's we laughed at the M16 because it didn't look military and one of the favorite references was "made by Mattel". To anyone familiar with hunting the 5.56mm cartridge felt like a joke when compared to the 30-06 or 308.

You will not find a semi-automatic 223 that doesn't look like a military rifle because there is no incentive to develop a rifle for which a mature government financed design exists. That is unless it a "new" military design. Even Bill Ruger, when developing the "mini 14" simply scaled the action from the 308 M14 to the 223/5.56 cartridge.

Would a side charger with no gas system qualify in California?

They are not bad. I shot in a match outside of London where semi auto rifles are not allowed, the gasless AR15 filled the firing line. Grab-pull-let go in the rapid fire was faster than a bolt gun. 10 shots in 60 seconds with mag change was not a problem.