Rifle Build I don't need but think I want

rickjoty

I have two bolt action 223's including a Sako Varmint. I have two Win 270's including a Sako A7. I have 30-06, 7.62x39, and I have reloading dies for 7rm. Ok, here is the question: since my 223's shoot up to 55 grain well and my 270's shoot down to 100 grain well, why do I need a 6cm. Ok, I want a 6cm set up to shoot 80's to 90's. I don't even shoot the guns I have much. Why should I or should I not build 6cm?

I might consider re-building my Tikka T3 270 into the 6cm. In fact that is what I should do except it is so darn light compared to the Sako A7 that I might want it on a long hike mountain hunt. They both shoot .50 to .75 MOA.

Dang.

Even though you mention a 6CM, you don't seem to be locked into anything just yet and if you want to shoot the heavies, and, you're building on a LA receiver, have you given any thought to a 6-284? The 6-284 will sling the heavies a fair bit faster than a 6CM and necking down Lapua 6.5-284 is a one pass and done process, not to mention Lapua brass lasts forever.

My 6-284 was the first custom I ever had built. It is one of my most favorite rifles I have and the thing shoots like a lazer. I apologize for the shameless pic but it's one of my all time favs!
6-284.jpg

I like the short action requirement for the CM. That's it. For heavies, I have the 270 for 100's+
I don't shoot the extreme heavies in my 6-284, I don't have enough twist for them, and as you can see, mine is built on a SA 700.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the 6CM, I think its a great little cartridge.

I shoot a 6mm creedmoor for a coyote rifle with either 105 Amax or 108 ELDM, when this barrel is shot out it will be a 6mm BR. Every coyote shot this year was with 105 Amax & tiny entrance, no exit from 65-300 yards.
small vortex.jpg

Last edited:
With those requirements I don't think the 6mm creed is the way I'd go. I own a 6mm creed and love it! Shoots the 105 hybrids at 3130fps and is a tack driver. But if your looking to shoot 80gr's then why not a 22 creed, 22-250ai, 22x47 Lapua? With alpha making brass for the 22 creed that's the way I'd lean and lean hard! Alpha brass is amazing, and the 22 cal 80-90's have a better bc then the 6mm 80-90's. Just something to consider. Once you see the number the 22 creed puts out it's a strong consideration.

I appreciate your padickament! LOL. I hunt small varmints and have a host of rifles/cal. to do it with. I now have three 6CMs and love them! I shoot 108s and 105s and even factory Hornady Black ammo. They all give me sub 1/2 MOA and very, very easy to reload. Not finicky at all. But you might want to also look at the 22CM to shoot the 80 and 90s. Just saying...I also have a 20PPC that smokes! AND, me fav catride in the PD towns is the 17 WSM. That is sooo much fun! Shooting suppressed is the only way,too! Good luck in your search! As a guy says, let your heart be your guide.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.