.223 New to Me

Handymike

I just purchased a Savage Model 110 Hunter in .223 Cal. It is sitting in my FFL's safe awaiting the FBI to OK an old veteran the right to own it. In the meantime I have a couple questions for the Forum and hopefully I'll get some really great info.

This is going to be a primarily a hunting rifle, however I would also like to do some long range paper work with it if I can shoot well enough, so with that in mind I would like to get your input on:

• Long range varmint hunting. What is the practical maximum range for this caliber?
  • What is best magnification for use with this cal. (may be shooting out to 800 yds.)
  • Since I don't currently reload, what do you consider the better factory ammunition
  • For this caliber. Ground squirrels to coyotes size of game.
  • Is this caliber useful for other game and if so what?
I also am thinking about having this rifle re-chambered to .223 Wylde so that I can safely shoot 5.56 ammo, which opens it up to larger, heavier projectiles. Your thoughts.

Thanks

Mike

Varmints out to 500 or more with good 55 grain bullets, VMax is great! Deer out to about350 or so. 52 grain Hammer Hunters. Or Sierra game kings. I'd say nosler partitions if they were available. you will have to load the hammers. Others are factory. For a scope that depends on your budget. But long range, 6-24 x50 either dial up or strada/ Christmas tree reticle. Budget Burris HD E3 reticle. Money, Zeiss ,Leupold many more.