Got me a new toy today

steelhead55

Picked up a sub moa vanguard in a 300wsm. Sportsmans was blowing them out.
I'm getting jazzed. Put a 6-18 scope on it and may go out tomorrow
To begin the break in. Any thoughts??

Thanks I'm like a kid on Christmas morning. First new rifle in a long time. As for the scope bite...when I was a kid I shot my dads rem 760? 350 rem mag. It hit me twice back to back drew some blood with that gun.
Going to be a fun journey for sure.

To begin the break in. Any thoughts??

I assume you were asking as to break-in process? Take it out (clean) & shoot it. Shoot one, clean one is rediculous at best. It will foul worst for the first dozen or so rounds. I usually shoot 10-20 before cleaning it; it will be dirty for sure & take a little extra elbow grease to get'er done but far easier than cleaning it 10 times in those 20 rounds.

t

I assume you were asking as to break-in process? Take it out (clean) & shoot it. Shoot one, clean one is rediculous at best. It will foul worst for the first dozen or so rounds. I usually shoot 10-20 before cleaning it; it will be dirty for sure & take a little extra elbow grease to get'er done but far easier than cleaning it 10 times in those 20 rounds.

t
I agree, the whole shoot one, clean one crap is overrated. I clean it good, then take it out and pump 50 through it, in 5-shot groups to heat it up, then let it cool completely. Heat-working and treating the throat for longevity. Then take it home, clean it thoroughly, then run a wet patch with some RemOil on it down the bore and let it sit and soak in for a few days in the safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts