223 65gr Sierra Game King

My 224 Valkyrie loves the 65 SGKs. I may try it on other things besides coyotes.

Liberator,
I'm sure that would a very good idea, but... I'm thinking your barrel twist might not like the 65gr'..., every time I got over 1-9 twist it started giving up a little accuracy.

My tube is 1-6.5 but still slings the 65SGKs into less than an inch. Some into .600 in. if my old eyes aren't fogged up. Don't have a crony though. May not be going all that fast.

Shot two whitetail with them with good results although no blood trail, ran about 80 yds. I also shot 4 coyote with the 55 gr gameking, all 4 were bang flop. I am getting 2940 fps out of a 20" barrel with the 65's and 3100 fps with the 55's. By the way there was no visible damage on entry or exit on the coyote. I would say 1/2" -1" groups @ 100 yds.

Hey fellas I just ordered some 64gr Nosler Bonded and 55gr Etips and my smith is just finishing up with my 223AI. Ill keep you posted.

My tube is 1-6.5 but still slings the 65SGKs into less than an inch. Some into .600 in. if my old eyes aren't fogged up. Don't have a crony though. May not be going all that fast.

Liberator,
Interesting, I never did well with anything tighter than 1-9 twist. In fact, a few of the rifles I had they wouldn't shoot well in was my HK-630... I think if memory serves me right it was a 1-12 twist, the other was my .223 LR 1k rifle 27.5" barrel with a 1-8 twist, oh wait'.., I put them through my Wby Varmintmaster in .224 Wby Mag 1-14 twist once, hell I might as well throw the bullets at the target by the handful. With all that said; I put them in my 1-9 & 1-10 guns they are tack drivers.

Federal used to factory load a 85gr Game King BTHP for .243 Win. It was like Thor's hammer on deer.
Why they discontinued it is a mystery.
Great round.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts