220swift vs 22_250

To correctly answer this question your definition of best needs to be clearly stated. Are you asking what is the fastest? If so, the answer is the swift. Accuracy is a tough question. It depends on a lot more than just the cartridge itself. However many people I know would argue that the 22-250 is more accurate.

One question that I have for you is, is this going to be a custom gun or factory? One note I would like to make is that if this is a factory gun then either cartridge really looses its effectivness out past 600 yards. Most factory barrels for either come with slow twists and are not capable of shooting the heavier more efficient bullets. If you are going to get a factory gun than in my opinion you would be best suited with a 22-250.

I am not well-versed in long range shooting and neither is my younger brother, but last week in his first attempt to shoot my Rem 22-250 Varminter, he shot a 4 inch group at 535 yds. I thought that spoke for itself. jm2c

The Swift beats the 22-250 by a significant amount, performance wise. A 22-250 Ackley will usually beat a 220 Swift by as much, but speaking strictly of the factory chamberings, the increased muzzle velocity of the Swift has a price.

In a magazine rifle, the cartridges won't feed as well because of the semi rim. Also, Swift cases need to be watched constantly and trimmed to length. A 22-250, less so.

Can't help it....back to the 22-250 Ackley. Never needs neck trimming, faster than a Swift in a more efficient case, and the brass seems to last forever. What's not to like?

Good hunting. LB

Condor, The 22-250 is a great round. However, the Swift is a much better longrange varmint cartridge. If you want longrange, go with the Swift. I shoot the Swift, and I always out shoot the guys with 22-250's at longer ranges. Goodluck!!

my plan is to build a longrange rifle i want to start with a rem 700adl and so bye a lilja or a shilen barrel, timney trigger, hs stock an 6,5x20 scope.
i is the 220swift better for fox and beawer and goose and other animals or should i consider a 22-250 or a 22-250ai?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

condor,
I shoot a custom 220 Swift with a 1/12 twist w/27 barrel length. I'm able to shoot the 55 ballistic tips at 3900. I'm also able to the Sierra 69's very well out past 700 yards.
I also have a factory 22-250 Ruger #1 varmiter. It shoots well also but not at the distances that the custom Swift is able to. I enjoy that Swift very well on PD town shoots in Wy. and those 69's come into play with that wind.
My powder of choice is VVN160 w/55's and RL-22 w/69's.
The piece about having to trim the cases regularly is very much a fact. I don't mind it. There is also an improved version of the Swift out there that greatly reduces case trimming.
I have a shooting friend who shoots the 22-250 improved and he does very well with that cartridge.
IF you are going to with a standard chamber in a custom barrel, I think the Swift gets the nod for better performance all around. It is an awesome older cartridge that just keeps coming back into play in the shooting field. I think you would be happy if you had one.

I have a Ruger Target in .220 Swift and my dad has the same rifle in .22-250. I might be able to give a little comparison about the two cartridges. My dad bought his first and I worked with it. My dad is not much into reloading and finding loads as I am. So when we get new rifles, I test them out. Fine with me though, I love it. Anyways, I tried the 40g v-max with imr-4895. He's getting 4100fps and shooting in the .3's for 3 shots. Nothing spectacular, but I pretty much stopped there as he said its good enough for him. So I got to thinking I needed a new varmint rifle. I was going to get a 22-250 but of course wanted the speed of the swift. Thats what turned me on, and I wanted to shoot 55g bullets. I bought some IMR-4064 as recomended by lots for 55g bullets, and bought some 55g BT's. I worked up a load with 36g, 37g, and 38g. 38g of I-4064 gave me a .295" 3 shot group at 100 yards while scooting along at 3925fps. I tried a 10 shot group and got 7 shots in 1 hole with 3 flyers about 1/2" outside the group. It will shoot 2" 5 shot groups at 300 and it will hold at least MOA out to 600. So far as accuracy goes, I would say if there both in a nice rifle, they both have the ability to shoot very well. I would say if anything, my swift is a little more accurate out at the longer yardages than my dads 22-250. I have had little problems getting my swift to shoot what I want it to shoot also. It will shoot 40g vlc's into .3", 50g vmax moly into .2", 52g AMAX into .4" 5 shots. I have only tried 4064 and RL-15 powders. They seem to work well for accuracy and velocity for me. I have had no problems with feeding out of the magazine for the Swift. My opinion is if you want to try something different, dont be scared. You might just love it. I know I love my swift and I would not trade it for a 22-250.

I have owned 220 Swifts for thirty years. Good, solid cartridge. I also shoot 22-250 and 22-250 Ackley, BTW.

I have seen a number of early Ruger Model 77 220 Swift's that would not chamber a cartridge from the off side of the magazine. In other words, the first and third would chamber fine, but the second and fourth would jamb against the face of the barrel, requiring feed ramp modifications.

Good hunting. LB

Condor, my Swift is on a Remington SS trued action/piller bedded into a H&S varmint stock/Lija 27" 930 at muzzel w/holland brake/Jewell 2oz trigger/Nightforce 5.5x22-56mm NXS/Lightforce bases and rings w/20 moa. As you can see, you can do alot with the Remington action you have. If you want to build a top notch longrange varmint rifle, I would suggest building something similar to mine. The 220 swift is a very accurate round, and I gaurantee you will love it if that is the caliber you choose. Good luck!!! Wildcat. O!! and by the way, my step brother lives in Holland.

Condor, I sent you a message, but I replied back to myself. Look fot it. I sent it 08-15-05. Sorry!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.