220 Swift usine 35 grn MEF Berger Bullets

wildcat

Hey everyone, has anyone on this site used the Berger 35 grn MEF bullet out of a 220 Swift. I am hearing from some that they are getting around 4700 fps to 5000 fps with excellent accuracy. I am getting around 4200 fps with 40 grn Nosler Ballistic Tips with excellent accuracy. I know barrel life may be short, but thats why I have a good gunsmith and extra barrels. Anyway, any info would be great. I am going squirrel killin' on Friday, I will let everyone know how those 40 grn Ballistic Tips work. We will be shooting anywhere between 10 yards to 500 yards. I will be using my little 10/22 for the close shots. My friend and I get access to a ranch here in California that is around 25 miles long and 5 miles wide. There are going to be millions of squirrels, I hope have enough ammo loaded up. I have around 450 220 Swift loaded, 200 223 loaded, and I have about 600 22LR ready to go. I will let know how it goes. Any info youi guys can give regarding 35 grn MEF berger bullets in 220 Swift will appreciated.

Have not tried it but I can tell you that getting an extra 500 to 800 fps more velocity by only dropping 5 grains of bullet weight seems like pretty optomistic numbers.

Not trying to discourage you from testing these bullets but I can tell you ballistically, your 40 gr load will smoke anything you can get with the MEF. A 50 gr Ballistic tip loaded to 4000 fps would be even better for ranges past 300 yards.

Now that I have been a stick in the mud, give 'er hell!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
Have not tried it but I can tell you that getting an extra 500 to 800 fps more velocity by only dropping 5 grains of bullet weight seems like pretty optomistic numbers.

Not trying to discourage you from testing these bullets but I can tell you ballistically, your 40 gr load will smoke anything you can get with the MEF. A 50 gr Ballistic tip loaded to 4000 fps would be even better for ranges past 300 yards.

Now that I have been a stick in the mud, give 'er hell!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]I agree with Fifty you have to include b.c. ,you can shoot a spit wad at 5000fps but without b.c. sectional density,mass it is meaningless, if you want to get the most from a swift try a 1-8" barrel with 75 -80 gr bullets and reach out beyond 300yds
UB

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with Fifty you have to include b.c. ,you can shoot a spit wad at 5000fps but without b.c. sectional density,mass it is meaningless, if you want to get the most from a swift try a 1-8" barrel with 75 -80 gr bullets and reach out beyond 300yds
UB

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta love the way guys think around here. We take one of the greatest, fastest varmint cartridges of all time, which I might add has survived on it's ability to shoot the 40 grainers @ 4300 fps, and turn it into a lowly 3400 fps gun. You couldn't have convinced me a year ago, but speed is way overrated. BC and accuracy is where it's @!!!!!

Thanks for the info guys, I am going to stick with the 40 grn Nosler BT. I just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Wildcat

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.