22/6mm vs 22/6mm AI

up4trein1

I am really getting the urge to want to build a rifle in one of these calibers. No reason other than I want one. My biggest question is would the Ackley improved version have a little better barrel life. That is what my pee brain seems to understand the benefit of the Ackley improvement is, more velocity is just a free plus. Any thoughts would be nice. Basicly just trying to get the most barrel life I can for this caliber.

I am really getting the urge to want to build a rifle in one of these calibers. No reason other than I want one. My biggest question is would the Ackley improved version have a little better barrel life. That is what my pee brain seems to understand the benefit of the Ackley improvement is, more velocity is just a free plus. Any thoughts would be nice. Basicly just trying to get the most barrel life I can for this caliber.

No you wouldn't get extra barrel life. Exactly what rounds are you looking at? Some rounds will give similar performance to each other but have better barrel life over the other.

I am guessing you are going to be shooting heavy for caliber bullets? That would take the best advantage of the case capacity. If you are planning on shooting 40-60 gr bullets a properly loaded 220 swift will do 90-95% of what the 22/6mm will do with the same bullet weights and you will have increased barrel life. The old swift is about the borderline for case capacity with a .224 bore for barrel life. In the same token though get a swift stinging hot and you can eat a barrel pretty quick with max loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.