22" 6.5cm Barrel Profile

Jerry D

Hi, looking for some feedback on what guys think for a do all/lighter weight rifle.

I am finalizing the parts list.

28oz Apollo/Axiom lite action
24oz Ag Composites Privateer Stock
Hawkins BDL
Triggertech Trigger
22" Rem Sporter or Magnum Sporter profile???

What profile would you choose and WHY? What would the difference be in weight do you think between the barrels? Do you like a little more weight out front etc or what would be your reason?

For a hunting rifle, I think going with the basic sporter barrel would be more pleasurable to carry, but when I look at a lot of custom rifles, they use more magnum sporter profiles, maybe they get more consistent accuracy? 1" vs 1/2"?

I am thinking the Sporter weight barrel would 2.8bs (45oz) and the magnum would be almost 1/2 lb (8oz) more

For a scope, if that has an affect on balance or barrel choice. I am planning along the lines of a 18-20oz optic, such as a vx5hd or nxs compact or something similar in the 2-10 / 3-15 range.

Please provide feedback and reasoning on barrel profile and if you want as well, barrel length but I'm pretty set on 22" max for ease of carry.

Thanks!

Well on my ultra light builds I usually use carbon barrels. You can get a thin steel one a bit lighter but your running a chance of having a very narrow accuracy node. Now I have some that do shoot very well but you will see follow up shots shift.
If it was me being a 22" I would go with the standard. As even if the poi shifts a bit it's a hunting rig and being light it's not a long range deal so I would keep all the weight off I could.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.