shooter53

What damage would a 22.250 do with a 50grn head no powder just the primer, A friend seems to think it would kill a person, I dont think it would push out of the barrel

Many years ago I tried this just to see what would happen. I was using a Federal primer and a 55 grain Speer projectile. The projectile ended up in the barrel about 8" from the muzzle in a 24" barrel.

Bullet WILL be lodged somewhere in the barrel. Probably 20 years ago I was shooting my 22-250 and my last shot didn't really recoil and obviously sounded different. Inspected the cartridge and didn't notice any soot around the case mouth. So I pulled the bolt and looked down the barrel. The bullet must have only made it in a few inches. Popped it out with a cleaning rod.

I realized I had missed putting powder in this case and have since changed my procedure.

As others have stated and depending, it will lodge in the bore or not leave the case, so this is not something you want to do. There are plastic and wax primer propelled light target/galley loads for pistols/revolvers, but those are very light weight and slippery projectiles for very short range paper punching. Also, some have used a plastic "BB" type projectile propelled by a primer in various 22 and 30 cals and others.

"A wise man learns from other people's mistakes."

Bullet WILL be lodged somewhere in the barrel. Probably 20 years ago I was shooting my 22-250 and my last shot didn't really recoil and obviously sounded different. Inspected the cartridge and didn't notice any soot around the case mouth. So I pulled the bolt and looked down the barrel. The bullet must have only made it in a few inches. Popped it out with a cleaning rod.

I realized I had missed putting powder in this case and have since changed my procedure.
I did the exact same thing. Only difference was not seeing a new hole on the target which led me to pull the bolt just to be sure. Yup, bullet stuck in the barrel. I also altered my loading habits to prevent future"missed load". Good habits are just as hard to break as bad habits.

I had to implement quality control measures in my reloading process, not because I was smart, but because of ammo mishaps. Unfortunately, all happened during matches causing me to lose points but thankfully no injury or damage resulted.

Now, because of all these dummy-head moves, I...
A) use a flashlight and inspect each row on the reloading trade for powder present and approximate powder height.
B) After seating primers, I inspect the base for a primary as I'm putting it into the reloading block.
C) Also, after bullets are seated and loaded cartridges are placed base down into the 50 round box, I put an open second box on top of it, invert the boxes, and do a final inspection of head stamp and primer.

Issues I've had in the past were...
- forgetting to charge an entire row on the reloading block of 6 Dasher (bullets never left the case),
- an inverted primer (blew out my 6.5 Creedmoor Tikka extractor), and,
- mistakenly picking up a piece of Peterson Dasher brass when recovering my Lapua brass after a stage's course of fire (which, when reloaded and then fired created an overpressure and left brass stuck in the chamber).

I had to implement quality control measures in my reloading process, not because I was smart, but because of ammo mishaps. Unfortunately, all happened during matches causing me to lose points but thankfully no injury or damage resulted.

Now, because of all these dummy-head moves, I...
A) use a flashlight and inspect each row on the reloading trade for powder present and approximate powder height.
B) After seating primers, I inspect the base for a primary as I'm putting it into the reloading block.
C) Also, after bullets are seated and loaded cartridges are placed base down into the 50 round box, I put an open second box on top of it, invert the boxes, and do a final inspection of head stamp and primer.

Issues I've had in the past were...
- forgetting to charge an entire row on the reloading block of 6 Dasher (bullets never left the case),
- an inverted primer (blew out my 6.5 Creedmoor Tikka extractor), and,
- mistakenly picking up a piece of Peterson Dasher brass when recovering my Lapua brass after a stage's course of fire (which, when reloaded and then fired created an overpressure and left brass stuck in the chamber).
You were wise to learn from past experience. We all make mistakes and hopefully we'll learn from those hard earned lessons.

Good way to have a serious injury!
We would shoot about 500 to 1k rounds of .45 and 9mm on weekends. Used a RCBS 2000 Pro Progressive Loader. Had to be careful when loading. Had a few "SQUIBS". LUCKILY The 45 with just a primer would only fire the bullet into the lands and would not cycle so the next round would be chamber.
Be surprised how many shooters had "Sqib" Kits with brass rods to knock out the stuck bullets.
Ended putting a light on the loaded to see if powder was loaded into every cartridge.