22-250 Sierra 60gr HP-CZ 550 Varmint Laminate

DONTSTROKEME

Here are some groups out of my CZ 550 Varmint Laminate in 22-250 Rem, 25.6" barrel. They are at 100 Yards and then 220 Yards. Sierra .224 60gr HP in Win case, over 30gr of Varget.

I drive in and slide my tool box to the back of the bed. Works pretty good.
100_0169.jpg

100 Yard 5 shot group
100_0175-1.jpg

5 shot 100 yard group
100_0176-1.jpg

3 shot 100 yard group
100_0177-1.jpg

5 shots at 220 yards with a few flyers.
100_0179.jpg

Here's the pit that I shoot at, I work on the owners machines and hea gave me permission to shoot here, this is at 220 yards and I can get right to 300 yards in the pit. It is great because it is only about 8 minuites from my house.
100_0173.jpg

So now it is time to load more up and start getting fancy out to 300 yards...not longrange but it really is a little ways....what most people would call out as "OH THATS AT LEAST 500 YARDS IF THAT"S 50"

Joe Oakes

dontstrokeme,

What twist is that barrel? I've got a Ruger target in 22-250 with I think a 14 twist and it will not stabilize a 60gr bullet at all.

Murf

Joe
Something you may want to try on your next outing is to put something like a peice of carpet, foam, or folded towel under the feet of your bipod. Helps to eliminate "bounce" and can help tighten up groups.

Not that those need to be tightened up any /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, but every little bit helps.

Chris

I have not checked it but the specs off of auctions for gunbroker say that it is 1-12" twist.

I think I might have to try that carpet thing. It didn't recoil so to speek but it did bounce off target about 3"at the feet of the bipod...to the right. I am thinking on removing some wood from the forend and putting weight up there, also in the rear of the stock. Mainly to help it stay put untill the bullet has left completly.

Thanks

Joe Oakes

Joe, I've got the exact same rifle and love it. Here's a load that works great for me that you may want to try in your spare time.

55gr Blitzking seated 0.015" off the lands, 37.0gr of Varget, Win LR Primer, and Win case.

This load has single digit SD in my rifle with average velocity of 3658fps. Last time out it grouped 0.232" from a bench for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.