22-250 barrel length, what is to short?

16 and 18 inch 223 are ok and handy also. My 223 ai is 18 inch
Well, Bullseye burns completely in a 2" barrel, so no shorter than that? Why short? working for little people? 24" has long been a standard of sorts; I go for that or longer regardless of the cartridge. You get more velocity, less muzzle jump and for iron sights, more sight radius. As in football, bigger is better.

Looking for my daughter a hunting and shooting rifle. Looking at 22-250 or 223. I bought a 243 and was to much recoil, petite. At what point(barrel length) does the 22-250 become a 223/flame thrower and the extra powder is not used efficiently? I want the barrel to be 20, possibly 22 at the longest. Let me know please.

You won't notice the performance difference in a few inches of barrel length with the distances your daughter will be shooting so don't let that influence you. A shorter barrel will also be easier for her to handle. A 20" Model 7 sound like what you need for her.

Thanks for all the input, I am staying with a short barrel so my daughter is able to pack and control it better. It's not really fun if your old man has to pack your gun and help control it because it's to big. I am not going for maximum performance of the cartridge but ability to handle and control for a small frame girl. Thanks for all the input

I chopped my 22-250 from 24 down to 18 and I really like the convenience of it being shorter, especially since I always shoot it with a can, but the downside is it's quite a bit louder. Even shooting it suppressed, it's what I would consider barely hearing safe. My 223 AI has a 22in barrel and it's much quieter.

My shorty 22-250, I think they kinda look a little oddish when you get below 20 inches.
Shorty 250.jpg

I've got a stryker in 22-250... She develops about 223 rem. velocity. Any legal rifle barrel length will be at least a bit over 223 performance, but as others have said, the noise level WILL go up a bit with a short barrel.

I didn't think about the noise increase. Since she is starting out I believe I will go with the 223. Thank you for all the input

https://rifleshooter.com/category/barrel-length-and-velocity/

These guys tested multiple cartridges. I don't think they did 22-250, but they did do 224 Valkyrie and 223/5.56. Not sure how that compares in case capacity to 22-250, but should be getting close. I think that ideally, I would t go below 22" on a '250, but maybe down to 20-21". Shorter than that, I'd probably do 223. I have a 22" 22-250 AI. Don't mind the noise, but shorter will be louder.

On the 243, did you try lighter loads with lighter premium bullets? For example, an 85 gr partition vs 100 gr? Just wondering if you could get the recoil down a bit.

https://rifleshooter.com/category/barrel-length-and-velocity/

These guys tested multiple cartridges. I don't think they did 22-250, but they did do 224 Valkyrie and 223/5.56. Not sure how that compares in case capacity to 22-250, but should be getting close. I think that ideally, I would t go below 22" on a '250, but maybe down to 20-21". Shorter than that, I'd probably do 223. I have a 22" 22-250 AI. Don't mind the noise, but shorter will be louder.

On the 243, did you try lighter loads with lighter premium bullets? For example, an 85 gr partition vs 100 gr? Just wondering if you could get the recoil down a bit.
I did not think about lighter bullets, good point. I had someone else comment about Hornady light loads that recoil less, mind mind is blanking on what they call them. I haven't had a chance to look into them yet either. Thanks for the option. I would rather have her hunt with the 243 than a 223. That may make it so she can.

A guy would want to be careful not to use varmint-type bullets (unless you are hunting varmints), but I think there are some lighter bullets that are big game capable. If you don't shoot for top velocity, it may work for her.

A guy would want to be careful not to use varmint-type bullets (unless you are hunting varmints), but I think there are some lighter bullets that are big game capable. If you don't shoot for top velocity, it may work for her.
Agreed, I have heard of people using ballistic to on deer but I don't think I want to try that.

As to your 243 an 87 Hornady (#2440) with a start charge of rl15, 4895, or 4064 will be strong deer medicine to a couple hundred yards and the pill is cheap enough you can run a couple hundred down the barrel for practice without breaking the bank.

As to your 243 an 87 Hornady (#2440) with a start charge of rl15, 4895, or 4064 will be strong deer medicine to a couple hundred yards and the pill is cheap enough you can run a couple hundred down the barrel for practice without breaking the bank.
Thanks for the info

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.