22-250 AI 80 and 90 gr bullets

The 75/80 Amax/ELDs will literally blow up ground hogs out to 750 yards pushed at 3550 fps at the muzzle. Very frangible bullets when impact velocities are high enough and they hit ground hog size critters. Much different results on deer size game. They perform great on deer as they exit around quarter size holes if hit in rib cage area behind the shoulder. RL15 and H4350 has been great powders.

Last edited:
thx Joe, have you worked with that bullet and any other powders?

Shot any yotes with the 85.5?
I tried h4350 in a friends 22 creed it didn't like it they drop coyotes drt but they put a big hole in them drop deer drt as well

Hey, this is timely info for me. I'm having a 22-250 AI 7 twist gunsmithed shortly. Barrel is shipping to him now. A 700 30-06 action is already there. I'm looking forward to seating heavy bullets long in that action. Should be fun experimenting. Thanks for all the info. Take Care

Sounds like a great project, keep us in the loop on this one. That'll be a great outfit!

My 22/250 Ack is off the Kimber 84M with a bit heavier contour in 8 twist. Incredibly nice to handle and yet just enough heavier than the standard barrel so as to be easy to shoot well.

I shoot the 80 gr ELDM in my 1:8 22-250 AI. So far, 41.3 gr of RL-23 nets a tad over 3300 out of my 26" barrel.

I'm going to most likely have my barrel chopped to 22" and threaded so I can use my suppressor. I'll lose some speed but will be a little easier to maneuver.

Got a 26" 7twist 22 creed barrel coming any day now for my origin. Really hoping the I can run 75g elds out of it since I have a bunch but am thinking I may have to bump up to the 85-90 pills. Been hearing mixed results with 7 twist barrels and 75s

either way, I Can't wait to get it up and running and see how it does.

Glad this thread popped up!!

Got a 26" 7twist 22 creed barrel coming any day now for my origin. Really hoping the I can run 75g elds out of it since I have a bunch but am thinking I may have to bump up to the 85-90 pills. Been hearing mixed results with 7 twist barrels and 75s

either way, I Can't wait to get it up and running and see how it does.

Glad this thread popped up!!
The 7 twist barrels seems to be hard on most bullets. The Berger's seem to handle the fast twists and velocities better than most bullets. I would opt to test some Berger Target bullets if the ELDs don't work. Berger 80.5gr and 85.5gr bullets seems to shoot very well and handle most twist and velocities well. The 90s seem to be finicky with most twists.

77 gr tmk come apart in my 26" 1&7twist at 3300 I didn't try running them any slower as 85.5 Bergers are running 3265 in one and 3300 in my other both will shoot dime size groups at 200yds if I do my part

Joe have you tried anything besides R23?

I got my 85.5's loaded, I'm trying R17, R16 and R22

The fastest I'd twist these overbore 22s is 7.5, guys even report blowing up Sierra and Hornady bullets in that config when pushed hard. Bergers have the strongest jackets from all the research I've done, and it's been a fair bit. I went with a 23" 22 creed, with a 259nk as most brass after nk down is a bit fat. I am using as a predator gun, have 80.5 bergers, 77tmk, ans 75eldm. Will be pushing them with H1000 or rl26. Hopefully the slower powders keep throat from moving too fast.