22-250 AI shooting a 75 to 80 gr A-Max

Iron Worker

Tried H4350 behind 75 gr A-Max in my 26" Cut rifles BBL( 8"twist) in 22-250AI yesterday. MV was all over the place with each load combo. Tried 36.5 to 39.2 grs with fully prep casesFed Match primers. Seated to with in .005 0f rifling lands. Extreme velocity spreads in all combo's,36.5 grs gave good accuracy but low MV Average 3,125. 37.5 grs produce a 1/4"( 3200 MV) group with one bad flyer but extreme velocity spreads. Next was 38.5 ( 3,325)MV was all over and group opened up. Next 39.2(3,400MV) even worce MV spreads and poor accuracy. So what powder should I try next? I'm hopeing to get a 3,400FPS accurate load for long range coyotes???

Well, I would probably try to work a little more with that powder before I went changing powders. I usually have picked out only 2 powders that I want to work with (for any given round) and one style weight of bullet. I am not sure of your style of reloading or your style of checking groups but if you wanted to change powders already with out messing with your seating depth. I would try these powders and in the order I write them I believe that it is slower than what you are using and contiues to get slower burning as the list goes down. So here you go, Ramshot Hunter, RL19, 4831sc, RL22. Goodluck

Getting to 3400 is gona be a little tricky and might not be possible with an 8twist/Amax combo
I got there with the standard 22-250 but it took a LOT of trys with a lot of different combinations. For me H414 did the trick but its a nightmare to get consistant with different temp, I finaly settled on 36.5 grains and dont take it out if the temp is over 75deg. I found it likes it hot but too hot is a fine line and bad thing!! Dureing most coyote calling weather=50deg or less I can get away with 37.5 grains but unfortunatly most rounds are thrown at prairie dogs in the hot summer sun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Had to have a little jam in the lands to get the Amax to hold together past 3200fps
old%20toy%20pics%20003.jpg

You should give some slower powders a try rl22 or 7828 should work great. Speed will be around 3250 to 3400 plus depending on your barrel. Also try the 80 a-max they been working real well out of my 22-243 ackleys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

ITs summer weather in California. Plus where I'll be hunting it could hit 100 degrees. Bullet seating depth? Do I want to jam them into lands or back them off some more. I was loading an empty case with bullet. With sinclair bullet ogive nut 2.070 bullet was jammed. 2.065 when ejecting I could feel the bullet being released from lands so I settled on 2.060.So I'm asuming that's .005ths off the lands? Re#19 is a little bit slower?

Slower powder is what you want... so it will burn all the powder. As far as how deep to seat, there is no magic number. Some bullets in some guns like crush, anywhere from .0"-.020" and some like bullet jump. That is the art of reloading. How are you reloading 1 at a time 3 at a time 5 at a time with the same load? Are you using a version of the ladder test?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.