Powder Recommendations for a 75 gr A-Max & 22-250?

CB11WYO

Will be re-barreling a friends 22-250 in the next month or two and want a head start on good loads and what powders to look into. Planning to use the 75 A-Max as mentioned... Hodgdon data only goes up to 70 gr bullets.

Initial impressions were maybe CFE223, H4350, or Superformance.

Anyone have a similar setup and what powder you using?

Thanks guys/gals, appreciate it!

Will this be a mag length cartridge? I have a .22-250 but with a slower twist. I shoot the 75 gr. Amax in my .223 FTR rifle loaded with H4895, I am capable of HM scores with this combo, works great.

So far, I have tried powders as slow as Superformance and RL-17 with bullets up to 69 grains (I don't have the twist to go heavier). Velocities for Superformance and RL-17 are very similar, but RL-17 appears to have more potential to be tuned for low ES and SD and has outperformed everything else I have tried, in both accuracy and velocity, using 53-69 grain bullets.

I have only worked with the 75 AMAX in my .223. I have found them to be very consistent bullets, easy to tune for VERY low ES and SD. In 22-250, RL-23, RL-26, and IMR 7977 may also be worth investigating with the 75 AMAX.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.