22-250 AI Fast Twist (1:8) using 75 gr either Berger VLD or A-Max

I am considering having a 22-250 AI made up with a 1:8 twist to shoot either Berger 75 gr VLD's or Hornady A-Max.I can find no loading data and would greatly appreciate any info someone might have.....Thanks

I have a 22-250ai with a 8 twist and i am using 42.5 grs. of rl-22 with a 75 gr. a-max at 3420 fps with a 30 inch barrel.

I believe Sierra's new manual has a 22-250AI listed with 80 grain MK's if I remember correctly.

My 22-250AI was designed with Federal brass in mind so that is what the reamer was made for. My gun liked 75 grain amax at first, but once the barrel got worn, it decided it would only shoot Nosler 80 J4 or Sierra 80 mk's. My load is 42.5 grains of H4831sc and Fed 210gm primer. It shoots at 3350 from my 25.5" barrel with very uniform velocities.

It is a fun gun to shoot and I have killed many chucks past 1000 yards with it but when it finally gives up the ghost, I will never do another one! It gets hotter 2x quicker than my 6br fast twist, burns 12 grains more powder, and really isn't any better ballistically at 1000 yards. It is a tad flatter but no big deal. Just dial in a few more clicks and your good to go.

I will probably redo that barrel to a 6-250 improved when the time comes. Way better barrel life, better knockdown, higher bc bullets, and not really any more difficult to make brass for. Just run a tapered expander ball through 22-250 brass and then fireform. Piece of cake.

Just my 2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I was going to do a 6Br...Then a 6mm 250 savage Imp (40deg) then another 6Imp... I just want a relatively easy gun to load for w/ H-I-G-H b.c bullets w/o getting extravagent..At one time I was going to build a 6imp neck it to 224 and have a fast twist and shoot 75 gr A-Max's at 3700+ but it will give about a 750 shot barrel life...So I am going to settle for the 22-250 imp with a 1 in 8..I will enjoy it>>'Till somethin' else strikes my fancy...At any rate..I appreciate everyones help...Thanks.......Ben...

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts