22-243 AI from 243 AI brass

Blueman

I know this might be a stupid questions, but I'm learning. I have a 243AI with redding bushing dies. Can I neck that brass down to 22-243AI or would I have to start with a virgin piece of brass neck down and fire-form? I'm just wondering if I can cut out a few steps. Let me know.
Thanks,

You shouldn't have any issues other than possibly needing to trim your brass, unless your 22-243 AI was reamed with a tight neck reamer. In that case you may need to neck turn.

That will be a screamer. I have a .260 AI, pretty much same cartridge just 6.5, and I'm sending 140's at 3070 fps (29" barrel) What twist are you using? What bullets are you planning on using?

I don't have one yet, but its in the works. I'm thinking 30" barrel with a 9 twist and shooting 75 gn AMAX. Seems like from the research I've done it should be around 3600 FPS.

That would be awesome. I have not checked ballistics, but depending in your intended use, a 6 twist shooting the 90 grain Berger VLD would be interesting.

Also, you may need to bump the shoulder. It will just depend on the chamber. Still not a big issue.

I shot a 22-243AI for quite some time. A load of RE22 under a moly coated 75gr A-Max would get me 3,670 ft/sec with unbelievable accuracy. Best group was .625" shot at 600 yds.
When the barrel was worn out I decided to make my life simpler by rebarreling to 22-243 (plain). I never regretted the change.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm just thinking since I've got the 243 AI brass, why not use it? And thus I want the 22-243AI

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.