21st Century Expander Die

Johnny Boy

Over the weekend I was able to pick up a 21st Century Expander Die locally from a yard sale. The die body does not have a window cut-out where I can easily see. My question is how to set this up without crushing brass? I checked the 21st Century website, but I couldn't find a "how to". Does it come with instructions when purchased directly from manufacturer?

I imagine you could put a piece of brass in the shell holder, lower the ram until the case mouth is in contact with the mandrel stop, then back it off a 4-5 full turns.

There is a vey generous range to work with, after you've done it once it'll just "make sense". There's a feel to it, you can tell when the mandrel clears the neck and you'll still have a good bit of ram to work it.

There is a vey generous range to work with, after you've done it once it'll just "make sense". There's a feel to it, you can tell when the mandrel clears the neck and you'll still have a good bit of ram to work it.
It's one operation in handloading with a lot of forgiveness.
Like QT said⬆️

Oh thank god you arrived...we just wouldn't know what to do 😆

Last edited:
There should be a slightly smaller diameter after the taper up to size for full diameter, then a slight step down ...stop...after the slight step down clears the neck and enters the case ...easy to see with the window cutout...mark it with a black marking pen..should feel it on the press handle.