.204 Ruger

bustayote

What loads have y'all found to be most accurate using a 40gr V-max? Up until now I've only used 32gr and haven't found anything spectacular. At this time the rifle is being bedded and trued, should have it back shortly after New Year's and was looking for a good starting point.

I use Win 748 over a cci 400. go by the book and work up to max. I get better than factory velocity and very good accuracy.

I have heard that Hogdon Benchmark is an outstanding powder in this cartridge. Have also heard that the 32 gr VMAX generally shoots better than the 40 gr VMAX. Don't know if this is true or not. Have fun with your 204 when you get it back!

I have had outstanding results in mine using 10x and just about any 40 grain bullet. Sierra lists the max load as 27.2 grains for it's 39 grain blitz king.

I feel that the reason people have trouble with 40 grain loads is the quality of the factory ammo. In cool weather i really goes wonky.

I prefer the 40 gr. nosler bt in mine as far as results on coyotes go.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.