2023 Montana deer

I was in SE MT last year too and it was super slow. Barely even saw does. The forest service guys said the numbers were way down and that's what we experienced. My brother called the biologist last week and he said not to waste our points on the south east area.

Started hunting sw Montana in 1961, last year was the worst ever. Deer numbers were down. Also the hunting preasure on pub land is way up. Good luck.

I'll be hunting in my home state this year:)

Not concerned with numbers of deer, I'll have a great time one way or another...

Correct but implying that because the middle of WY had a rough year that there will be high winter kill in the entire large state of MT makes zero sense. Neither does applying it to CO or ID or any other state. The OP asked a question and your response is not helpful. Do you have specific data to the entire state of MT? If so let's hear it.
All areas of Wyoming have excessive snow packs and deep snow with winter kill in Wyoming except one area. Dead deer , lope and elk in most of Wyoming. Research it. I thought question was about Montana. Go there.

Montana the tags unless a special area are general tags for deer. Whitetail or muley. Have to watch the area you are going to hunt in. Some areas are either sex but mostly for whitetails.

Assuming I draw, I'll be hunting the SE corner of MT this year.

Any reports on that area?
What I witnessed in the last two years and stated by a couple guys, it's in rough shape compared to the past. Numbers and quality of bucks are way down compared to recent historic numbers. I think you will see bucks and have a very good chance at filling a tag but if you hunted there in the good times you will likely be shocked by how it has changed.

I went to North Western Montana 2021 for deer/elk and Ill never go back...at least to that part of the state. I was successful but that was some of the toughest land I have ever hunted. It was steep with blow downs everywhere. Oh I also got covid while I was there so that might have aided in my always feeling tired and wore out. But seriously that part of the state is pretty but just doesnt hold many animals. At least in my opinion

All areas of Wyoming have excessive snow packs and deep snow with winter kill in Wyoming except one area. Dead deer , lope and elk in most of Wyoming. Research it. I thought question was about Montana. Go there.
Winter wasn't any better in most of Montana and the way F&W run our resources by giving out more and more non resident tags we'll soon run out of said resources. It amazes me that they even want to return to Montana with the poor numbers of deer and the overcrowding going on here.